Family

"So the rules of this are that you can't talk unless you have the magic talking wand." Demi explained, waving one of Kenzie's pink toy wands around.

"But why mommy?" Kenzie was sitting on one side of me, Kenna was cowering on the other. We were having one of what I assumed to be multiple, family meetings.

"Because we are going to be respectful to each other." Demi was facing the 3 of us, on a chair she pulled up from the dining room.

Kenzie opened her mouth to complain again but Demi held her finger up. "Remember what I told you Mackenzie. You listen to me when I speak or you won't have a chance to audition for anything else." Demi said sternly. Kenzie slumped down into the couch and pouted.

"Kenzie, I have a question for you first. Why do you feel the need to bully Kenna?" Demi passed the wand.

"Because I hate her." She stuck her tongue out.

I grabbed Kenna's hand and she smiled weakly at me. Demi was once again succeeding in ticking me off. There was no need for Kenna to hear all of this.

"That's not an acceptable answer. We don't hate each other. We love. Give me the real answer."

"She steals all the attention and I need to get rid of her." Kenzie spat coldly.

Kenzie's words shook me. She needed to get rid of Kenna. How exactly was she planning on getting rid of her?

"I feel that I give the two of you equal attention. Who is it that you feel pays more attention to Kenna?"

"Cece doesn't. All Cece cares about is Kenna!"

"So is this about Cece?" Demi nodded.

"Hey! Maybe if you weren't such an evil brat we would be friends too!" I finally yelled, jumping up.

Demi glared at me.

"You don't have the talking wand so please sit down and wait your turn."

Demi's ability to remain calm in these situations was once something I admired, but today I just wanted her to scream back at me.

Suddenly I realized that if I hadn't come into the picture Kenzie wouldn't have started being mean to Kenna. Maybe it was there a little before I came around, but it was my fault Kenzie started getting meaner.

I caused Kenna's pain.

I sat back down, feeling nauseated at the sounds of my demons coming back.

"So you're upset that Cece pays more attention to Kenna?"

"Yes." Kenzie nodded.

"Cece? Would you like to add anything?"

"I like Kenna more than you."

I wanted to piss her off. I was so angry at her, angry at everybody. Demi was supposed to be my rock but she wasn't there for me anymore.

"Cece, if you're going to be part of this family you need to follow the rules too. We show each other respect. If you can't do that you have to leave."

"Goodbye." I got up. "Kenna, let's go."

"Wait, I don't want you to go. You know I love you, I just don't need more negativity around." Demi jumped up after me.

"Maybe you should have thought of that when you married Wilmer!" I yelled. "Maybe if Wilmer hadn't loved Kenna and hated Kenzie we wouldn't be having this issue!"

Suddenly I stopped and looked around. Time seemed to stand still as I waited for Kenzie's reaction.

"Sweetheart that's not true." Demi looked over at Kenzie.