Bracelet

"Let's go ask mommy what the surprise is! She said she'd tell us today!" Kenzie jumped up and down, her laced white nightgown flowing around.

"I bet it's really exciting!" Kenna hopped out of bed. She was wearing one of Demi's old concert tees.

Demi appeared in the room.

"Goodmorning girls. Do I hear talk of a surprise?" She raised her eyebrow.

"Yes yes yes! Tell us!" Kenzie shrieked, grabbing at Demi's hand.

"Hmm.. What could it be?" Demi teased.

"It's in the bag! Look!"

"What bag?" Demi hid the huge tote bag behind her back.

"C'monnnn mommy!" Kenzie whined.

"Close your eyes and hold your hands out! I'm so excited!"

We obeyed. I felt something soft appear in my arms. A stuffed animal? Great surprise.

"Ooh what is it!" The twins chattered with excitement.

"Okay open your eyes!" Demi was bursting with excitement.

We each had Mickey Mouse stuffed animals.

"That's your surprise?" Kenzie sassed.

"Thank you so much mommy I love him so much!" Kenna hugged Demi.

"Girls wait that's not it!" She pulled 3 princess crowns out of the bag. "These are for my 3 beautiful princesses. You're going to need these for tomorrow."

"Why mommy?"

"We're going somewhere very special."

"Disney World!" I exclaimed, feeling like a little kid again.

"Exactly!"

The twins flipped out and after Kenna thanked Demi countless times and Kenzie finished screaming we were calm.

"Let's go eat breakfast. And Cece, mom wants to speak with you." She winked. My heart sank. "You've got this okay?" She whispered in my ear.

"What does Cece have, mommy?" Kenna innocently asked.

Demi and I stared at each other. Kenna's little 5 year old mind was way too young to learn about what was going on. Yet she picked up something was wrong.

Meanwhile Kenzie was throwing her mickey stuffed animal around singing about rainbows and puppy dogs.

Demi finally nodded.

"Can I talk to you in the other room Kenna?"

We sat down on the floor next to each other. Kenna put her hand on my shoulder.

"I heard what you told my mommy in the car."

"What? You were sleeping!"

"I was pretending. I do it a lot."

"Why were you pretending?"

"It's a secret."

"Besties don't keep secrets remember?"

"I love your skirt."

"Nice try. But tell me."

"You can't tell anyone. Not my sister. Not my mommy. Not anyone."

"I won't I promise." I held out my pinky.

"I need to make sure Mommys okay."

"Of course she's okay. She's strong now."

"She cries at night. She hasn't for a long time but she used to."

"Why did she cry?"

"She would wake up screaming."

"How did that make you feel?"

"I don't know. I don't care."

"It must have scared you."

"No."

"It didn't upset you?"

"No."

She was holding something back.

"So why do you still stay up? Are you worried about her?"

"I need to make sure she's okay. Cause if she gets sad at night again I need to be better."

"Kenna... It's not you." My heart broke. She felt like she caused her mothers pain with her behavior. "You know how your mommy has battle wounds?"

"Yeah from winning a big battle."

"Well sometimes even after you win you have smaller battles. Those battles are different though. Instead of leaving battle wounds they just make you upset for awhile. Then you feel better."

"Oh that makes sense. So my mommy is okay?"

"Yes Kenna." I hugged her tightly.

"Well okay. But I have a question for you... What happened?"

"What do you mean?"

"Something scary happened to you. I could tell by your voice in the car. But you didn't say what."

"Nothing happened."

"I may be 5 but I notice everything. Our whole families acting weird. I'm not a baby you can tell me."

"There was a mean guy. He hurt me. Um."

"Keep going."

"He hurt me really bad. Really deeply. He did things to me... to my body.... that shouldn't happen."

"Thanks for telling me bestie. I have something for you."

She ran into the other room and came out with a bracelet. It was a yellow string with beads on it. There was an M bead and a C bead followed by a heart. "BFF" was spelled out after.

"I made this for you. Well my mommy helped. I have one for me too. It means we're besties forever!"

"Aw Kenna I love it! Thank you!"

"You're welcome."