Brother

I opened my eyes to the pastel pink ceiling of my bedroom at Demi's house. Initially I was confused, and I was cold. McKenna usually sleeps next to me and wakes me up but I guess she let me sleep today. We had gotten in very late the night before and we were all exhausted. I lay in bed for a few minutes appreciating the silence before I threw the covers off and hopped in the shower. Then I put a hot pink hoodie on with a pair of leggings. I slid my baby blue vans on and peeked into the twins' room. Nobody was there. I walked downstairs to find an empty house.

Before I could pull my iPhone out to find out where everybody was, Demi walked through the front door.

"Oh you're up. Goodmorning Cece." She walked over to me and gave me a tight hug. She was definitely acting like something was up.

"Is everything okay? Where's McKenna?"

"I brought the twins to mom and dads. The police got back to us about the incident with Tyler's brother."

"Oh." I felt a wave of shock rush through my body.

"Let's sit down." She guided me to the couch. I really hate this couch. She rested a hand on my back and began rubbing up and down.

"The police contacted Tyler's family and did several interviews. Basically... they couldn't find any conclusive evidence that the incident happened so they are dropping the case. The thing is... Tyler... He doesn't have a brother." Demi pursed her lips together. "I'm sorry."

My thoughts were everywhere. If Tyler doesn't have a brother who raped me? Did it even happen? Or was I dreaming? Did I make this entire thing up? But there's proof.

"B-b-but Tyler's brother gave me a doctors note and it worked... so he has to e-e-exist."

"Sweetie it wasn't Tyler's brother. It was somebody else who was pretending to be Tyler's brother."

The realization that my abuser was out here somewhere, in this city smashed into me. I didn't even remember what he looked like. Just his chilling eyes. But what good will that do? He could be anywhere. He could be looking for me. And now the police think I'm just a lying slut.

"D-d-d-Demi. P-p-please." I gripped onto Demi's shoulders and tried to breathe. I gave up on holding my tears back and let then trickle down my cheeks.

"Shh. Shhh. You're okay." Demi tried to calm me. She finally just turned sideways and let me cling to her waist. She held my head and just let me cry.

I feared for my life.

Eventually no more tears would fall. So I sat up. Demi turned to me. Her eyes were so full of sorrow and concern.

"Baby what were you trying to say?"

"Please protect me." I looked towards the front door. I felt like any minute would bring him. Him rushing through the door... you know the rest.

"I promise." Demi grabbed my hand. "I hired a private detective. He's tracing the doctors note to find who claimed to be Tyler's brother. I'm going to make this right for you."

"Thank you."

"As far as school goes, I arranged a meeting with mom and dad and the school board while we were in disney. They were going to press charges but due to the circumstances now, they are going to let it go. You'll start being homeschooled next year. You will have to repeat this year. But you'll live."

"Will the other kids know?"

"I assume it'll be kept secret. But you don't have to worry about them. You won't be there anymore."

"Thank you Demi. I really appreciate it. And everything. I love you."

"I love you so much Cece. I'm so proud of you."