Dead and Back

"So..." Demi looked puzzled. "You're telling me... My daughter... attempted suicide." Demi realized, a blank expression settling across her face.

"Yes Ms.Lovato. As of right now we are treating this as a suicide. If our testing comes back differently we will inform you." The chief replied, standing a little bit taller and fixing his hat. "Was McKenna bullied?"

Demi stared straight ahead, her mouth opened and her eyebrows furrowed. "No." She finally spoke.

NO!? NO?! What is she thinking? Mackenzie bullied Kenna to the point of her attempting suicide. She knew. She knew every detail. She said it herself. Mackenzie bullied McKenna. And now Demi was lying about it. Why?

"We will be conducting several interviews in the following weeks as a part of our investigation to determine what played a role in her attempt." Demi nodded blankly. "We are looking for bullying- cyber or otherwise, and at what goes on in the home." Demi nodded silently once more. "We'll be in touch, Ms.Lovato." The chief said as he walked down the hall, leaving Demi alone in the hallway.

I think deep down I knew all along that Kenna had done this to herself. But why didn't it hurt? I didn't feel sad. I felt nothing. I felt completely numb. I should be in pain right now, but I haven't even cried. My best friend is dying and I feel nothing.

Demi slowly came back into Kenna's room. She looked at me before speaking. "Why don't you go talk to Kenna or something? Hold her hand? You're her favorite. And I'm sure she's scared." Demi's lip quivered as she changed the subject. I was furious at Demi for not telling the truth. I wanted to leave the room, I literally could not take seeing Kenna in this state. It was ripping my heart into pieces. But Demi was a wreck, so I stepped closer to my lifeless best friend. My mother stepped back from rubbing Kenna's little hand.

"Mommy did you hear?" Demi croaked, reaching out for our mom before sinking her head into her shoulder and sobbing once again.

I stared at McKenna, almost not believing it was her. How did she go from so animated, so sweet, to so lifeless and sick? I sat in the chair beside her bed and slowly reached for her hand. Her hand had multiple IVs running through it as well as some sort of light that I assumed monitored something. I wanted to hold her hand. I'd held that hand so many times. But it scared me. I felt like my single touch would kill her. As soon as my hand felt her hand my stomach flopped. Her hand was ice cold.

Was I dumb for thinking she was going to live? Up until that moment I had been convinced that she was going to make a miraculous recovery. I knew what the chances were for her to survive, but there was still a chance right? She couldn't just die.

"I love you bestie." I whispered, hoping nobody else could hear me. I looked behind to see Demi still crying, our mother was focused on calming her down. "Please come back to me. I need you."

Suddenly I noticed blood pooling from Kenna's nose and mouth. I glanced up horrified, ready to scream, but before I could I heard the beeps. Alarms were going off from all around the room.

Demi sprung forward, almost guarding McKenna. I wanted to scream at her, you can't guard death from her Demi, you can't. But instead I backed up, hitting a wall, everything was spinning. The nurse jumped into action, she immediately started chest compressions.

That's when I knew it was bad. Really bad.

"CODE BLUE ROOM 531, CODE BLUE ROOM 531" I heard over the intercom.

"NO" I heard Demi scream. "PLEASE NO!" She tried to throw herself over Kenna. "MY BABY!" She shrieked, crying even harder.

Eddie had to rush into the room and pull Demi away from Kenna. She fought at first but exhausted, she eventually let go and allowed Eddie to restrain her in the corner of the room. Her heartbreaking cries could be heard throughout the hospital halls.