Ditch

"LAKESHORE ELEMENTARY"

I stared up at the disgustingly yellow and blue sign that stood in front of a huge brick building. I never liked schools.

Suddenly a brown-haired girl appeared out of the bushes. Her hair was in knots and her cheeks were red and tear stained.

"McKenna! Sweetie..."

She burst into tears. I bent down to her level and hugged her as tightly as I could.

I know what you're thinking. This seems unlike me right? Well before I was adopted I used to take care of all the little ones at the center. Little kids are my soft spot. They make better friends than anyone my age ever will.

"Sweetie we need to get you back to Demi."

"No! Please!" She clung to my neck.

"Kenna why?"

She wouldn't reply.

"You don't have to tell me. But I really want to know why and it would make me happy if you talked to me."

She released herself from me.

"Do you really care?"

"Of course I care. I love you Kenna."

"I don't want Demi to be mad at me. For not standing up for myself. She always calls me and Kenzie her little warriors. But I'm not one."

"Sweetie Demi won't be mad at you. She was bullied when she was younger too. She's going to understand. You are always going to be her little warrior."

I appeared calm but inside I was breaking for little Kenna.

A smile crept on her face and her adorable brown eyes lit up.

"Well okay."

For the first time in a long time, I felt genuinely happy. Knowing I made a difference in McKenna's life and seeing her move past her fear. I was so proud of her.

"So Kenna? Where's Kenzie?"

"Mommy took her to an audition."

"Oh. You didn't want to go?"

"No."

Her eyes told me something different but I didn't press.

"Well is this your new school?" I tried changing the subject.

"Yeah."

She really didn't talk much. This was going to be a long day.

"Well how about we go back to your house?" I remembered that I still had a key. My phone told me that we were only a few blocks away.

"Yay let's go."

I grabbed her hand and we began the walk.

Eddie and Dianna are going to kill me if they find out I didn't go to school.

Demi is going to kill me for helping her daughter ditch school. She didn't even want me around her kids, so when she comes home and I'm there with her daughter....