Change

"Good morning Cece." Demi shook me awake. I was immediately surprised by her appearance. For the first time in a week and a half, she had changed her clothes. She had also showered and done her hair. She looked like a person again. "Or should I say afternoon? It's 1:30." Demi smiled. "Hey don't look so shocked, I went home this morning and took care of myself. Like you're going to take care of yourself."

My heart skipped a beat. She wasn't going to let my relapse go. Of all people you'd think she'd know how to... let it go... Bad time? Okay.

"But we'll talk about that later."

Yes! Now I just have to avoid Demi until she forgets.

"How's Kenna?" I yawned. She had fallen asleep yesterday after receiving numerous pokes from various doctors.

"She woke up early this morning. The nurses had to draw blood and drain more fluid. PT came and sat her up for awhile but she didn't like it." I nodded. It was amazing to me that a week ago I wouldn't have known that PT stood for physical therapy. I wouldn't have known what normal blood counts were, or what the procedure was for draining fluid from lungs. I now knew far more than I wanted to know.

"Can we go see her?" I asked. She nodded.

"That's actually why I woke you. The social worker is in there trying to talk to her, but she won't respond. I was hoping you could help."

We headed down the hall, passing full room after full room. My heart broke for everyone stuck on this dreadful floor.

"Hey Kenna." I walked into her room, now decorated with balloons and streamers for her and Kenzie's upcoming birthday and gave her a hug. She blinked at me. "How about 3 blinks is hello?" I asked. If she couldn't speak the least we could do is give her some way of communicating. She blinked three times.

"Good afternoon. I'm Mrs. Lindsey. I'm assuming you're Cece?" A short, fat lady walked up to me and extended her hand.

"Yep." I didn't particularly like social workers. Just seeing her made me pull my long sleeves down, so they covered my hands too.

"I was just talking to Kenna, here. But she doesn't seem to be answering." I ignored her. We stared at each other, seeing who would give in and speak next.

"Can we have a minute?" I asked finally, anything to get this lady away.

"Of course."

"Does anything hurt?" I asked. She blinked yes.

"What hurts baby?" I desperately wanted to comfort her. The words flew out of my mouth before I could even realize that she couldn't tell me.

"Can you blink when I touch what hurts?" My hand shaking, I tapped her feet and legs. Nothing. I tapped her stomach. She blinked. Her chest, she blinked. I pointed to her throat, scared of hurting her because of the tube. She blinked. And finally her head. She blinked again.

She was in pain everywhere. And it killed me.

"I really really really wish I could make you better bestie. I hate that I can't. I'll get a doctor."

She blinked twice and I recognized that as no.

"Should I..." I thought. "Call the social worker back in?"

She blinked yes.

"You'll be honest? Can I tell her what I know? About Kenzie."

She blinked yes again.

I wanted so desperately to know what Kenna was thinking. I was so frustrated with myself for not being able to tell.

Mrs. Lindsey sat down and I took a chair next to Kenna.

Troubled: A Demi Lovato FanFicजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें