Time

Have you ever noticed how when you want time to slow down it just speeds up? How many times do you just want your day to be over, and it drags on forever? I don't know why it works like that, but it does. So by this rule of life, the next morning came, and the sun appeared in my window far too soon. It was the day of the police interviews. If all went well, Demi and the twins would be moving to LA very soon. I knew I wasn't going to be going with them. With the future so uncertain, McKenna's future especially, I wanted to be there. But somehow mom and dad thought I was better. Somehow they didn't notice how I wasn't eating. Maybe they were distracted... Maybe they couldn't deal with it.

I put a pair of black leggings on followed by an oversized sweatshirt. The car ride was quiet, Mackenzie fell asleep. When we arrived at the hospital we were stuffed into a tiny waiting room. Mackenzie still asleep, now in my dad's arms. Demi met us there. She ignored me, no surprises there. Nobody really spoke though... Everyone's unspoken fear was that Demi was going to be blamed. One by one each of us was called in. When my dad was called in he passed Kenzie over to me. She was almost my size, but her face showed how young she was. She was a baby. 5 years old. She stirred in her sleep before opening her eyes and staring at me.

"I wasn't really sleeping you know." She got off my lap and sat next to me.

"Oh really? Your eyes were just closed?" I smirked.

"Yup. I do it all the time. McKenna told me about it. That way we get to hear things that grown ups wouldn't say in front of us."

"Oh." I remembered. I remembered doing it at the adoption center. Hearing the owner discuss how I was sweet but I would never be adopted. Hearing things I shouldn't have heard.

"By the way, I wanna go home!" Kenzie yelled.

"As soon as you talk to the police Kenz." She jumped up and rushed towards the door. Luckily an officer opened the door at the same time.

"I need Mackenzie now." He looked around.

"No!" She cried, tears streaming from her eyes. My heart sunk for her. I could tell she was trying to stay brave.

The officer bent down to her level. "Sorry, it won't be bad though we just need to talk." He lead her away.

Then there was me. After some time I was ushered back to the room by the officer. I sat in a chair at a round table with multiple other people. I was oddly relaxed, I didn't know if it was because I was starving and I couldn't think, or if it was because I was just done.

"So we will be treating this as a child abuse case from now on I assume?"

"A rape case sure."

"Bless those girls..."

I heard conversation tid bits as the other people acknowledged my presence.

"Thank you for sitting down with us Cecelia." The policeman extended his hand towards me. I didn't dare shake his hand though. Instead I glared at him.

"So basically we just need to know your account on the events leading up to McKenna's alleged suicide." A woman explained.

And I told them everything. Everything I knew and had experienced. They nodded and wrote things down and I was excused.

I joined my family back in the waiting room. Mackenzie was bawling into Demi's arms. Demi was rocking her, her hand brushing against Kenzie's cheek. I wondered what had happened with Kenzie. What was her secret?,

After a moment of awkward silence, we were all brought into the conference room. My head was pounding and I was confused. My thoughts were jumbled. I was very concerned that I was in danger of fainting. I put my head down and tried to concentrate.