40 | YOU, ME, PICNIC ON THE BEACH

┍━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━┑
chapter forty
YOU,ME, PICNIC ON THE BEACH
┕━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅ ━━━━

┍━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━┑chapter fortyYOU,ME, PICNIC ON THE BEACH┕━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━┙

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

"Guys, I've read this thing like a thousand times. It makes no sense." Kie spoke as she read the letter. "I mean, the Limbrey's own like half of Charleston. What do the Kook kings of Charleston know about a murder on Kildare island?"

"Maybe they just know things like they're just really big gossips and found something." Athena shrugged.

"Why you specifically? That's the other creepy thing." JJ added.

"What if they like, knew Pope's ancestors and where actually about to give him loads of money to get JB a good lawyer because they secretly have no evidence." Athena made a face.

"Babe, that's so off." Kie told her. "You know? 'Please come alone.' That's hella sus."

"I was thinking the same thing. I think it's because -" Pope began to say before steam starting hissing out of the engine. "Oh come on."

"What's that?" Kie asked. "Pull over. That's a lot of smoke, even for your dad's truck."

"Pope, I got sensitive lungs man!" JJ exclaimed, coughing. Athena took the bandana out of her hair, handing it to JJ, who placed it over his mouth.

"I'm pulling over." The car seemed to speed up as Pope turned the car, it heading off the road.

"Pope, just slow down!" The car finally came to a stop, it seemingly filling with more smoke. The four stumbled out of the car, all shouting about what was wrong.

"You might want to reschedule your meeting tonight, Pope." JJ told him after inspecting the inside of the car.

"Plan B? We could, um... public transport." Kie suggested.

"Better for the environment." Athena nodded.

"We could hitchhike. We could rent bike."

"Yeah, it's the radiator." JJ stated.

"My dad's gonna kill me." Pope sighed, Athena hugging him.

"Yeah, he might. He might." JJ replied. Athena stepped back suddenly, grabbing her phone and looking at their location.

"What is it?" Kie asked her.

"I know a mechanic round here, an old friend." Athena told the group.

JJ and Athena walked over to the truck, standing opposite Kie. JJ stood behind Athena, his arms around her waist and his head on her shoulder as she leant on the truck.

"Is this guy for real?" JJ asked Athena, turning to face her.

"Pretty sure but you never can tell your luck with my dad's friends." Athena smiled, turning her head to look at him. The two laughed, JJ pecking her lips before looking at Kie.

"Dude's in heaven right now. Gotta know the calibration point before you do anything with the intake valve, kid. You do the--" Athena cut JJ off, when she noticed Kie's saddened expression.

"Hey." Kie looked up at her. "You all right?"

"My mom is so worried that I'm gonna be a Pogue that she's willing to send me to boarding school." Kie spoke as if the news had only just dawned on her.

"Well, I guess that's what you get for hanging out with the wrong crowd, Kie." JJ shrugged.

"I mean, I'm not gonna go. It's too late anyway. I already am who I am." Kiara stated firmly.

"And you're perfect just like that Kiki Dee." Athena told the girl, who laughed quietly.

"Ain't all that bad." JJ tightening his grip on Athena as she leant back into him. "Just look at that guy over there. He would do anything for us. That's a Pogue if I've ever seen one. Bone-deep."

JJ and Athena watched as Kie turned to watch Pope, who spoke to the mechanic, smiling softly.

"That's just one man's opinion, though." JJ shrugged. Shortly after, Kie went inside to pay for the truck's fixes. JJ spun Athena around, so her back was up against the truck and his hands were on her waist.

"Hi." She smiled at him.

"Hi." He whispered back. "I haven't seen you much lately."

"A lot has been going on and we don't have Dorota to sneak you in anymore." Athena sighed. "Everything's happened so quickly, I can't even comprehend what's happening when."

"You know I've been thinking." JJ started.

"Well that's new." Athena commented, JJ chuckled slightly before continuing.

"We've not had a first real date yet." JJ told her.

"We have not, no."

"Well when we get back and there is just a bit of normality in the world, you, me, a picnic on the beach. I'll teach you how to surf like a pro because lets be honest you are not great at it and you can teach me how to make those bracelets seeing as I haven't gotten one yet." JJ explained.

Athena looked down at the friendship bracelets on her wrist before smiling up at her boyfriend. "Deal."

"Deal?"

"Deal." JJ leant down and pressed his lips to Athena's, the two stood in the darkness kissing for a few moments before pulling away.

Athena sat on JJ's lap in the truck the next day, the four driving down the road towards their destinations. Athena's head was on JJ's shoulder, her eyes shut as she tried to get more sleep. She hadn't slept well the night before, two entranced by the beautiful starry night sky to even try and fall asleep as she lay on JJ's chest.

"I wonder where Sarah and John B are right now?" JJ wondered aloud.

"Hopefully safe." Athena muttered, smiling tiredly.

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

𝗜𝗦𝗢𝗕𝗘𝗟 𝗦𝗣𝗘𝗔𝗞𝗦
literally the most boring chapter ever but we got a little bit of jathena so
next chapter yall !! next chapter
ugh and stranger things comes out soon and i cannot wait

𝗜𝗦𝗢𝗕𝗘𝗟 𝗦𝗣𝗘𝗔𝗞𝗦literally the most boring chapter ever but we got a little bit of jathena so next chapter yall !! next chapter ugh and stranger things comes out soon and i cannot wait