48 | THE CROSS AND THE KEY

┍━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━┑
chapter forty eight
THE CROSS AND THE KEY
┕━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅ ━━━━

┍━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━┑chapter forty eightTHE CROSS AND THE KEY┕━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━┙

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

"Let me know if I'm hurting you." Athena spoke as she placed a plaster on Heyward's face.

"You're doing fine." The man groaned.

"Okay." Athena nodded, stepping back and sitting next to Sarah.

"Thank you, darlin'." Heyward winced as Pope stepped towards him.

"Pop, what happened?" Pope asked his father.

"Oh, I should've known better." Heyward shook his head. "He came in just as I was about to lock up. Caught me by surprise. Once he had me down, he put his knee in my chest, and he asked me about that that that key from that that drawing you showed me."

Heyward looked around the group. "And in case you're wondering, I ain't tell him nothing." The man turned towards Pope. "Now did you track it down?"

"I found it in Mee-maw's old apartment above the pharmacy just like you said." Pope held up the key.

"Shit, boy, you should've gave this to me.I wouldn't have had to take a beating. What's the big deal? It ain't worth anything. Why they want it so bad?" Heyward asked.

"I don't know." Pope shrugged. "First, I get this letter telling me that I need to go to Charleston. And then I meet a rich lady who wants me to give her a key that I didn't even know was in my family."

"None of it makes any sense." Kie shook her head.

"I told you she was a creep who knew your ancestors." Athena scoffed. "None of y'all believed me."

"And she's back." JJ muttered, Athena turning and shooting him a wink.

"Well, don't y'all just sit here whining about it. Figure it out!" Heyward ordered them all.

"No. I'm just gonna give the key to that lady. It's not worth--"

"No, no, no. Did I raise you to back down from a fight, boy?" Heyward interrupted him.

"No, sir." Pope sighed.

"Well, all right. Now, I I didn't think about it before. I admit that. But now Now? I'm interested. Well, did they say why they wanted it?" Heyward asked his son.

"Something about an old cross. I think it might be some kind of lost treasure." Pope explained.

"You know who you should talk to? Your great-grandmother, Mee-maw." Heyward stated.

The group sat in the Twinkie, driving to where Pope's Mee-Maw was staying.

"Guys, the thing that Limbrey said, I don't think she meant to let it slip." Pope spoke up. "She said the key leads to the Cross of Santo Domingo."