45 | WE GOTTA DO SOMETHING

┍━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━┑
chapter forty five
WE GOTTA DO SOMETHING
┕━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅ ━━━━

┍━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━┑chapter forty fiveWE GOTTA DO SOMETHING┕━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━┙

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

Athena had her hands interlocked with Sarah's as the group sat in the middle of the courtroom, John B stood in front of the judge as she spoke.

"John Booker Routledge, pursuant to the North Carolina statue section 14, you are charged with murder in the first degree with aggravated circumstances. If convicted, the maximum sentence would be the death penalty." The judge hit her gavel against the wood, her statement making Athena gasp, Sarah leaning forward as her eyes watered.

JJ stood up angrily as people clamoured around them. "Your Honour, he's 17."

"Stop." Pope and Kie stood up, Pope pressing a hand to JJ's chest to still his movement.

"Quiet."

"He's seventeen! Are you kidding me?" JJ exclaimed.

"You're good." Pope tried to calm him down.

"Bailiff!" The judge waved her hand.

"Hey John B, we're gonna figure it out." JJ called to boy, who was being escorted away.

"Don't trust anyone JB, we'll get you out." Athena shouted as Sarah tried to go over to the boy.

"John B! John B!" Sarah cried, the boy turning around. Before Sarah could get far a guard pushed her back, Kie and Athena grabbing Sarah from him. "John B! No!"

"Sarah!" Kie exclaimed.

"Leave her alone." Athena told the guard.

"Don't touch her!" Kie stated. "Let's go Sarah. Let's get out of here."

Kie and Athena guided Sarah out of the courtroom, JJ holding Athena's hand as they did.

"Is this a joke? Like are we in hell or...?" Kie trailed off.

"I should have never come home." Sarah cried.

"They're gonna kill, guys. I know it." JJ shook his head.

"Hey, everything is gonna be alright. Sarah you did the right thing coming home and John B isn't going to die." Athena stated firmly, looking around the group before a Kook man caught their attention.

"Sorry for what you and your family have gone through." The man spoke to Ward, walking behind him and Rose. "Thank God the system works."

"Can you please shut up?" Kie asked loudly, the group turning around to face her. "Of course you think the system worked because it was made to protect you and people like you."

"He will have his day in court." The man shrugged as they went back to walking. "A jury will decide."

"He shouldn't even be in court!" Athena exclaimed, standing next to Kie, catching her father and Rose's attention once more the two turning to face her.