006. welcome home

chapter sixwelcome home

chapter six
welcome home

Later that night, Athena sat next to John B at the table in the boat, Big John opposite them

Later that night, Athena sat next to John B at the table in the boat, Big John opposite them. The man poured each of them a shot before holding it up.

"To life, living, and the pursuit of... treasure." The three clinked their glasses.

"That's a good one." John B raised his eyebrows. Big John chuckled as they downed the shots. Athena made a face as she put the glass down.

Big John laughed once more. "Yeah, see, that'll put hair on your chest there."

"So, what's the deal with this whole big kahuna thing?" John B asked, holding the artefact in his hands. "I mean, how did you end up on Barbados?"

"Well, same way you did and for the same reason too." Big John answered. "The treasure and Carlos Singh. Yeah, I was marooned out on the Shoals for what felt like months, living on seaweed and sweat and rainwater, and fixed myself up to be crab food. Thought I was a goner. Singh must have tracked my boat, then his men showed up. He must have known I was onto something because they found me. At first, I thought I was being rescued. Turns out it was less of a rescue mission, more of a captivity-type deal. Yeah. I didn't go without a fight. We left one of his men behind, as I'm sure you've heard. Next thing I know, I'm being shipped off to Barbados. Singh's place."

"Did he kill someone in front of you too? Lock you in a room with your psycho brother?" Athena asked. "Because twins if he did."

"They locked me up in some audacious estate surrounded by cane fields and armed guards. I meet this particular little man, Singh. He wants to cut a deal with me. He wants me to tell him everything I know in exchange for him keeping me alive. But it didn't take long before I caught onto the game. So as soon as I got a chance, I took it. Got a little roughed up along the way, but I made it out." Big John continued to explain what happened. "And not empty-handed. And here I am, back with my boy. Enough about me. I want to hear about you. Who are you sweet on these days, huh? I know there must be someone, and it can't Athena here, JJ'd have your head."

"Yeah. Yeah. There's, uh... there's been some developments on that front." John B spoke with a soft smile. "I'm married, Dad."

"You're joking, right?" Big John chuckled.