Chapter 17

POV: Jeny

Jeny found herself walking to her best friend's apartment again. It had been a little over two weeks since the swap had happened and she was really starting to be concerned. She wanted her best friend back and didn't care who she had to yell at to make that happen. It had been lonely without the daily contact with Y/N at work and afterward.

Lost in her thoughts, Jeny glanced over at the complex gym's window and saw Y/N's sweating body intently focused on her machine's screen. She stopped for a moment, wondering at the changes she could see in her best friend's body. It was true that she seemed slimmer, but she also had an unhealthy air about her although she couldn't see clearly through the lightly tinted window. Jeny changed course to go straight to the gym.

Thankfully, she was a regular visitor to the complex, so she had absolutely no problem getting in. Watching Ahnjong from behind, she could see her whole body trembling with exhaustion. Jeny had to wonder if she was even eating properly. "Ahnjong?"

The girl turned to look at her and Jeny bit back a gasp. While she looked skinnier, the bags under her eyes from lack of sleep seemed more pronounced. "Oh, the friend. What was your name again?"

Jeny bit back a sarcastic response. As one of only two people she'd met during her time in Y/N's body, you would think the little bitch would remember my name, she thought caustically. She smiled thinly. "Jeny."

"Right... right..." Ahnjong's tone was dismissive as she turned her machine back on. Jeny knew that she should be giving Y/N's body more time to rest, but the girl didn't seem to care. "What are you doing here?"

Patience, Jeny. Patience. You're here to make sure Y/N can come back here safely. "Oh, I just wanted to check up on how you were doing? Do you need any groceries or anything?"

Ahnjong paused and looked at her blankly. "Why would I need groceries? This fat cow has enough rice to last me for a year. Why would I need anything else?"

Jeny gaped at her. She knew for a fact that they'd just filled Y/N's rice dispenser that held 20 pounds of rice... but how would that last Ahnjong for a year? She shook her head to focus. "You don't need any side dishes or anything like that? There's a lovely Korean market just down the road..."

"She doesn't deserve any side dishes. It's obvious that she's eaten plenty," Ahnjong growled, avoiding looking at herself in the mirror. Dissatisfied with the cardio she'd been getting on the elliptical machine she was using, Ahnjong moved to a leg press. Jeny gaped at the amount of weight she put on there, even when she practically staggered to the machine on shaky legs.

"Do you think that's a wise amount of weight to put on there?" Jeny finally couldn't help but ask. "You might pull a muscle and that would put back your progress." She thought maybe if she couched the suggestion in a compliment that Ahnjong might be more willing to listen.

Ahnjong stared at her blankly for a moment before slowly and grudgingly setting a lighter weight load. She started with quick and efficient moments. Jeny wondered how she was doing all of this. It wasn't that Y/N didn't exercise, but never to this intensity. It was impressive how much weight Ahnjong seemed to have shed, but Jeny wondered how this could be healthy. Was Ahnjong trying to kill Y/N now?

Ahnjong seemed to be irritated with Jeny's stare. "So you just wanted to ask me about food? That's it? What a waste of time."

Jeny locked eyes with the black eyed intruder in her friend's body. "I wanted to check up on you and see how you were doing. See if you need any help. I'm very aware that you don't speak English."

Ahnjong continued her leg presses while she stared at Jeny through the mirror. Jeny wondered if she was trying to assess her sincerity. Finally she finished her leg presses and nodded. "I appreciate that, but I have what I need." She looked at Jeny with a sneer. "Plus, I find even looking at you irritating. It reminds me of everything I've lost."