Chapter 24

POV: Jungkook

It had been a long week in Los Angeles, but they'd managed to get a lot done. Jungkook was glad that the concerts went well and James Corden was always a fun host to play with for the late night shows. He'd really pulled them out of their funk for a bit and Jungkook was grateful for that.

During their last night, they'd been able to just decompress. There were lots of quiet conversations. However, it felt like they'd been avoiding talking about Y/N and their fears. He was grateful that they were so generous toward him, but he still felt angry at himself. He'd been so impulsive. If he'd even waited for just one more day, they may have been able to find her easier.

He leaned his head on Hobi's shoulder because he needed a bit of that sunny attitude to rub off on him. As they started heading to bed, he looked at Hobi sadly. He'd been isolating himself recently, but he couldn't tonight. He wouldn't blame Hobi if he wanted to sleep with someone else, but he still hoped he would offer. Hobi smiled at him with a wink and held out his hand. Jungkook smiled at him in gratitude and they went to bed quietly. Neither of them had a lot of energy left after their busy day, so they were able to immediately fall asleep.

Jungkook didn't know exactly what woke him. When he opened his eyes, he could see Y/N's eyes again and her blurry form. He really wished that he could see her clearly. He closed his eyes for a moment, hoping that would resolve the blurriness. He was surprised that this time he could actually hear her.

"Kookie, are those dark circles under your eyes?" The concern in her voice made his heart stutter. Like a feather, she actually touched his cheek, and he felt his heart stop for a moment. He pressed his cheek harder against her hand. When that finger traced along his lips, his nose and his cheekbones, he opened his eyes again to stare at her. It was like looking at a water painting. She was clearer than at the dance studio, but he wasn't certain he'd be able to accurately describe her. He relished the warmth she generated with her touch.

When she saw he was awake, she was so shocked she would have taken her hand away. His soul screamed in agony, so he grabbed her hand quickly to maintain the contact. Am I dreaming? Please, please say I'm not dreaming! "Y/N?" His voice sounded as if he hadn't used it in ages.

"Kookie." His name on her lips made him so happy. Even now, she was only concerned about him. "Why aren't you taking care of yourself?"

How can I tell her that I don't deserve to be happy and healthy? That it's all my fault that we can't find her. I'm hurting her... I'm hurting my hyungs... I'm the worst kind of person!

As if she could hear his inner monologue, her eyes started to tear. "Why aren't you happy?"

Just that simple question caused his tears to flow and his hands to tremble. How can I be happy without my soulmate? Why doesn't she understand she belongs with us? Will she ever forgive me? Finally, he moaned, "How could I be happy when I'm the reason you aren't with us?" He tried to be quiet so as to not wake Hobi. He pressed her hand against his cheek again. He needed her touch.

"Why would you feel that way? You didn't do anything wrong!" Her hand wiped away his tears. As if she too needed to touch him, she started to smooth his hair.

He could only shake his head and cling to her hand even tighter. "If I hadn't touched you that night..."

Her laugh shocked him... even as it lightened his heart. "Bunny, listen." His breath caught at the sweet endearment. He would give all he owned to hear her voice every day. "I couldn't stay there forever. I had been feeling like I'd stolen Im Ahnjong's body and her experience..."

Why is she still on that? Why can't she just accept that she is our soulmate? He could feel his expression getting more severe. He wanted to scold her... Demand to know why she was rejecting them... But he knew he couldn't convince someone who was certain they were right. All he could do right now was clarify their position on that girl. "She is NOT our soulmate, Y/N."