15 | role model

R E A D E R

R E A D E R

"Do you have a role model? A person you look up to, and whose actions inspire you?"

After watching a video called Self-love: how do I reach it? earlier that day, I kept asking myself these questions. Did I have a role model?

My older sister was a trans woman. She went through social and medical transition for the last two years while studying abroad in Australia.

She had always taken good care of me, showring me with love. Naturally affectionate, she used to ditch her friends to spend time with me whenever I felt lonely, mostly in primary school. We shared a strong bond; almost as strong as the one Neha and Sonali shared as twins.

Growing up as her little sister, I never thought she was abnormal. As far as I can remember, she wouldn't try to hide her true self from me. Our relationship was mainly based on trust. She was my safe space, a confidant. On one hand, I was labelled as the fat alien at school. On the other hand, Maya struggled with her identity whilst having to cope with her schoolmates' insults and harrassment. We had to deal with different hardships, but our similar paths allowed us to fully understand each other.

One particular day, "I don't want to be this way!" she cried.

She locked herself in her room until the next morning. The anger in her voice, the pain in her eyes, the loud cries; I could never forget them.

When she came back from school that same evening, I told her I wanted to hang out. She took me to the mall, and we ate snacks. Spending time with me brought a genuine smile on her face, and I needed nothing more.

Because she thought I was too young back then, she never tried to explain how she felt. However, words were useless considering her behavior gave her feelings away.

She wanted people to acknowledge her feelings and accept to treat her like the girl she felt she was.

"Yo, Y/n! Are you with us?"

I widened my eyes, snapping out of my thoughts as Miria's loud high-pitched voice spoke.

"Sorry, I was thinking about my sister. She told my mother she would come back for a short visit."

It was true. Maya planned to come back home next Sunday. She wanted to spend some time with us, her family, and think of what she should do with her life after her studies.

"The one in Australia? You never talk about her." Jieun said

I nodded. "She left two years ago. I miss her a lot! We don't get to talk that much since she's busy with school and medical treatments."

While I was talking, Jungkook sat with us. "Medical treatments?"

"Yeah. She went through a sex reassignment surgery. As far as I remember, she always identified herself as woman." I said that with pride, thinking of how strong she was for actually assuming her choice in spite of her schoolmates' insults.

My heart ached at the thought of it. She must've suffered a lot.

The minute those words left my mouth, I heard an unpleasant sound coming out the mouth of a classmate of mine. They were making fun of my sister, and it made my blood boil.

"Eww, gross!" they laughed "Your sister is in fact, your brother?"

"Fuck you, Bogum." I spat quietly

He kept on laughing. "Do you have a penis too? Is that why you look like a dude?"

I wanted to slap the shit out of him, but Jieun and Miria were too pissed to let me speak. In fact, the latter yelled at Bogum while Jieun kept on laughing at him. It made him angry, causing him to talk bull even more.

"Your brother was born with a dick, no real man will agree to fuck him just because he has a vagina now!"

Expressions of surprise could be heard all over the classroom. I was too slow to process what he had just said. So slow that someone else had taken the matter in their hands, and punched Bogum in the face with a heavy-and scary-fist.

The idiot fell backwards, groaning in pain. Surprised, my eyes widened as I looked at Jungkook who was hovering him, eyes firing with anger, jaw tensed. I noticed how his right fist turned completely red.

❁ ✾ ❃ ❋

J U N G K O O K

"Just leave. I'll clean by myself and tell the principal you helped."

Subborn as usual, Y/n didn't budge.

"You're punished because of me."

I scoffed. "I punched him."

"Because of me."

I had nothing to answer to that, she was right. Still, I did not want her to get punished. I chose to do it.

"He deserved it though." she suddenly said as I bent down to scrub the pool's floor "What a prick."

I chuckled, nodding in agreement. "What he said was beyond stupid. I think your sister is strong."

She smiled sweetly, obviously sharing the same opinion. "She is. She would probably like you, by the way. She likes pretty boys!"

I frowned. "I'm underage."

"I never said she would date you, idiot. But she'll probably tease me considering we are friends."

"Would it be so bad?"

As soon as I spoke, Y/n turned around to face me. Her (e/c) eyes were staring at me with clear confusion. I instantly regretted my words.

In an attempt to make it sound like a joke, I let out a forced laugh. The girl tilted her head on the side, smiling a little. I relaxed.

"Ugh, I'm exhausted!" she groaned

I ruffled her hair, causing her to complain even more. "Shut up and work. The sooner we're done, the earlier we leave!"

Because of Bogum, Y/n and I were assigned to cleaning duty. As for me, since I had punched my classmate, I was expelled for three days. Which wasn't that bad if you ask me.

Good thing was, I got to spend some time with my friend, which lately, I tended to enjoy more than usual.

『 ❁ ✾ ❃ ❋ 』