09 | what happened to professor kim?

R E A D E R

R E A D E R

At school, everyone loved professor Kim. Students were subjugated by his beauty, admired his undeniable knowledge of History, appreciated his sense of humor and respected his genuine kindness. I was obviously one of these students, continuously praising him whenever he'd pass by the girls and I in the hallways.

Lately, it had occurred to me that he was acting out of character. In fact, everybody noticed. The usually passionate teacher had turned into a wimpy human. Miria was probably the most worried of us all; she had a huge crush on professor Kim.

"I heard he's dating nurse Chang. Maybe they had an argu-"

Before our class' gossip queen-Jihyo-could finish, Miria interrupted her out of shock, and perhaps disappointment as well. "What do you mean he's dating nurse Chang?"

Minhyuk rolled his eyes like he usually did whenever Miria opened her mouth. "Don't tell me you're jealous?"

"Shut up, Minhyuk!" Right away, she sat closer to Jihyo and plagued her with questions.

The rest of us have moved on, focusing on the real issue. My classmates and I were conferring regarding professor Kim's worrying behavior. Looking out of the corner of my eye; I noticed Jungkook was paying attention to the conversation and intervened from time to time. Some female classmates were beaming, unable to take their eyes off him.

I tried my best to ignore him, which was hard since he kept glancing at me. At some point, I shuddered in disgust, thinking of his hurtful words.

"You should talk to him." Out of the blue, Jieun whispered in my ear.

Surprised by her action, I jumped as my brows furrowed under her amused look. I didn't know what to say, so I kept quiet. Jieun and Miria both noticed that I kept my distance from Jungkook, but I refused to tell them why and made it look like it was nothing more than a quarrel we would forget in a few days. Truth was, I couldn't get over it.

Some might say I was overreacting, but I couldn't act like he hadn't blatantly insulted not only me, but tons of people. He had the right to prefer what he called active girls, but implying that I wasn't active myself gave out his opinion regarding fat people. I could have reacted differently and take the time to explain why it pained me to hear him say such things, but frustration got the best of me. To be honest, I hoped Jungkook would realize his mistake and apologize. Until then, I wouldn't spare him a look.

❁ ✾ ❃ ❋

Later that day, Sarutobi pointed out professor Kim's odd behavior. At some point, she expressed her will to check on him and make sure nothing bad was happening to him. Since Kwon and Jae were nowhere to be seen, I guessed that she would ask Hyemon to go with her. However, I couldn't let that happen because I'd be stuck with Jungkook; which would create an awkward situation for the both of us. Therefore, I offered to go with her.