22 | gift hunting

J U N G K O O K

J U N G K O O K

"The black one, are you sure?" I frowned, eyeing the silky tie

Y/n glared at me as if I was an idiot. "I don't freaking know Jungkook! It's your father we're talking about."

The day before my family and I would leave for the countryside, I asked Y/n to help me pick a gift for my father. His birthday was approaching, and I needed to buy something before we'd leave to visit my grandparents.

We were going to celebrate dad's birthday with them, so it might had been my only chance to do so.

"Yeah, no ties."

With that being said, I exited the shop with a frustrated Y/n walking right on my heels. I would normally be annoyed and complain about her behavior, but my father's happiness was at stake so I had to put up with her attitude.

We spent the next hour searching the perfect gift at the mall, in vain. At some point, my level of frustration was so intense that I had to take a break. Y/n led me to a small restaurant I didn't know. The place was almost empty considering it wasn't meal time.

Once we were properly seated and served; we began to eat.

"So, how does it taste?" she asked as I took a sip of the beef stew, eyes shining with excitement

"Tastes good!" I exclaimed after gulping the warm liquid "Do you come here often?"

She nodded with a proud smile on.

"At least once a week, with my sisters. Mom grew tired of this place, so she doesn't come anymore. But the twins and I cannot get enough of it!"

I smiled, picturing the (h/c)-haired girl taking her younger sisters to the restaurant. It was nice to know she cared about spending time with them.

"Speaking of which," she continued "I can't wait to visit Maya!"

"Right!" I exclaimed "You'll stay at her place?" I asked

The girl shook her head no. "Apparently not. Her apartment is too small. But one of her friends has a big house, so we'll stay there."

"You must be excited."

"I am!" she couldn't stop smiling, to the point that it was contagious "She's coming back with us."

"Oh, so she's definitely leaving Australia?" I asked, eyes focused on the beef stew

Y/n nodded. "For now, until she figures out what she wants to do next. At least we get to spend more time with her."

The conversation flew easily as we started to talk about our respective families. I usually wouldn't do that, but Y/n was a good listener-despite the vivid and noisy reactions she tended to have-and she'd always manage to lighten our serious conversations.

"Are you close with your grandparents?" she tilted her head on the side, curious

I shrugged. "Not that much, actually. I love them, but we don't meet often. Even back then, when my mother was alive, we'd never visit them."

She nodded. "I get it. My mother's parents died before I was born, while my father's weren't even aware of our existence."

"Seriously?" I frowned

She simply shrugged. "I'm telling you, he is a massive jerk." Y/n chuckled, shaking her head from left to right. "I hope I won't turn into an asshole, like my father."

"Probably not." I assured, staring at her (e/c) eyes "You're the opposite."

"Oh my!" she chuckled "What's with you lately? You've been complimenting me a lot! Which I am not complaining about, but you know... It's unusual."

I was at loss of words, taken aback by her sudden realization. Perhaps she was right. Lately, I might have been nicer than usual. Why was that, you may wonder? Truth is, I had no idea. Y/n was my friend, why wouldn't I be nice to her?

"It is a temporary situation. Don't come crying when I get back to my old self." I smirked, earning a light punch in the shoulder

❁ ✾ ❃ ❋

"Oh my, this is heartbreaking!" the girl exclaimed, dramatically throwing her hands in the air "I will miss you sooooo much!"

I rolled my eyes, groaning as her body smashed into mine due to her attempt to hug me. I did not push her back though, because it felt strangely nice.

She eventually broke the embrace, her (e/c) eyes falling on my stoic figure. I felt my cheeks burn a little.

"I mean it. I'll miss you."

Unable to look her in the eye, I looked away and shrugged. "Whatever, just don't be bad while I'm gone."

She laughed, shaking her head from left to right. "Got it, dad! I promise to be a good girl."

We kept talking for a few more minutes, standing in front of Y/n's house. After what seemed like a short time to me, the girl bade me goodbye and ran inside her home. With a dumb smile on my face, I walked away, ready to go home by myself.

Although I needed rest, the thought of spending time with my family and not being able to see my friends bothered me. Which was weird considering I usually enjoyed being alone.

Ever since I met Y/n and the art club members, my state of mind started to change. The grieving boy was slowly turning into an average teenager, suddenly surrounded by nice and caring friends. Until then, I never realized how healing it was. Unknowingly, they helped me feel alive again! Although I'd probably never say it to their faces, it was important to admit that to myself.

After years of being lonely, cutting myself from the outside world; I had friends. And I felt better.

I didn't want to rank them, but Y/n was most definitely my favorite among them. Again, never going to say it to their face.

❁ ✾ ❃ ❋

R E A D E R

"See, that's why I told you not to eat a whole meal! I knew you couldn't handle dinner." Mom rolled her eyes

Seeing no use in giving her an answer, I shrugged it off and cleared the table with the help of my sisters despite my overfilled stomach. Once we were done with the dishes, I ran to my room to check my phone.

I noticed a text message from Haneul and a picture sent by Jungkook. My first instinct was to check the latter, curious to see what he had sent to me. A meme. An extremely funny meme which caused me to laugh like an idiot for minutes until the device started to vibrate. Haneul's name appeared on the screen, making me smile in the process.

"Woah, you sound exhausted! Were you running or something?"

I rolled my eyes as a smirk crept up my lips. "No! I just saw the funniest meme ever, I'll send it to you!"

A few seconds later, I heard him break into laughters. Thanks to that, Haneul and I joked around for an hour. I didn't mind talking to him considering I kind of missed him since he went on vacations. I couldn't wait to see him! Summer break is cool, but spending time with your boyfriend is even better.

❁ ✾ ❃ ❋