38 | january's bad news

J U N G K O O K

When Sarutobi sent a group message requesting all the members to meet in a quiet café, I knew something was off. First, she hadn't inserted a single emoji, which was unlike her. Next, none of us had seen her during club hours the day before. And last but not least, her message ended with "Something bad happened."

We were on school vacation since the end of december. The last thing related to the art club that I could remember of was the collage we submitted for the contest. To be honest, I did not see why we would have failed this stage. I mean, not only was the idea great—not to brag—but the result was mindblowing. Each of the members poured their soul into creating an authentic piece of work.

It was ours, and I couldn't imagine how disappointed my fellow members would feel if we were to lose the contest.

The meeting point was located near Bangtan High, which was perfect since I had an appointment at the doctor right before. Once I arrived, I noticed Sarutobi sitting with Jay, Solange, and Kwon. With a small wave in their direction, I announced my presence.

"Hey." I smiled as Jay scooted over so I could sit. "Where are the others?"

"Don't worry." Kwon answered, rolling his eyes. "Your girlfriend is coming."

I mimicked his action, not bothered enough to give him an answer.

A few minutes later, all of the members were here. Since none of us could wait for the results' announcement, the president wasted no time. Eventually, the sad news came out: we hadn't made it to the next stage. Out of fifty contestants, our work was ranked twenty-seventh.

"We needed to make it among the first twenty-five." Sarutobi explained as we all listened, staring at her. "We were so close..." Those last words came out in a desperate whisper.

Losing the competition stung, but seeing the president of the club so disappointed was even more frustrating.

"It's my last year, I won't ever be able to try again."

Hyemon—who was sitting right across from her—took her hand in a supportive gesture. "You did your best. We all did."

The third year nodded, scanning us all. "I'm so proud of you guys. Our piece of work slayed, and I'm sorry that the jury turned out to be tasteless."

Her bitter comment managed to bring laughter to our table. Thanks to that, we started to talk casually.

"Alright, I admit." Kwon frowned. "Your idea was pretty great."

"Thank you." I smirked

"You're so conceited." he clicked his tongue, averting his eyes

Y/n, who was busy talking to Sarutobi, decided to butt in. "Great idea, yeah. So great that we managed to lose." She said as a small smile crept up her face.

By the malicious spark in her eyes, I could tell she was teasing me. "Sure thing. Because your skills would've brought us to the finals."

She glared at me. "I can draw flowers and TV screens quite perfectly."

And that was enough for me to end her with humor and finesse.

⍣ ❁ ⁂ ٭

"Honestly, I feel more bad for you guys than for losing." Y/n said as she put her hood over her head.

I glanced over at her.

"It doesn't matter. We did our best—and you heard Sarutobi ; we can be proud of our work."

After spending the whole afternoon with the club members, I offered to walk Y/n home since the sun was down. On the way to her house, we decided to stop by the convenience store to buy something to eat. In the end, we exited the store with a bag full of snacks.

"The club will be so weird without Sarutobi, Hyemon, and Jae." The (h/c)-haired sighed. "Damn, Kwon will take the lead for sure! I simply cannot live in a world where Kwon is president of the art club." 

As we joked about that possibility, we sat across from the Han River to enjoy our food whilst fighting the cold weather.

"So, it'll be Solange, you, and me." I said before biting in my hotdog.

"And Kwon." she added

"And Kwon." I repeated, smirking. "Don't worry. We will do great!"

Y/n nodded as she munched on her food. "I hope next year will be nice as well. I'll miss the council members too..." I rolled my eyes at this, knowing very well what she meant by that. "What?"

"You know what."

They're so cute, like literally"...every single one of them." See? I knew she would say that.

The girl emitted a cute chuckle as she looked away. Her (e/c) eyes shone bright that evening as they gazed at the Han River. I took this moment as an opportunity to feast my eyes upon the girl I'd never imagined I would like that much. She looked adorable, munching on the sausage she obviously enjoyed.

A kind, bubbly, and loyal friend. If she hadn't put up with my wrongful pride, I wouldn't be as outgoing as I learned to be. Thanks to her, I did not feel as lonely as I used to. Just like my father and my brother, Y/n meant a lot to me. She was my good little fairy.

"I was thinking, since we're on holidays..." I said suddenly "You've never been to my house."

Y/n turned her face towards me, frowning a little. She shook her head no.

"I guess you could come over whenever you can."

I noticed a flash of surprise in her eyes, but it left as soon as it came.

"Are you sure?" she asked

I nodded. "Of course! We could watch a movie in my room or something."

With a horrified look on, she tilted her head. "Your room? What are you implying, you dirty pig?"

For once, her reaction had caught me off guard. "I swear it's not what you—"

She chuckled, pressing her hand against her mouth to make me shut up. "Calm down, I was joking. Actually, that'd be great! I would love to come."

『 ❁ ✾ ❃ ❋ 』

A/N : the 1st chapter of "wax figure" is now available!