Part 6

Silence filled the living room. Neither Hayes nor Harriet let a sound after the explanation.

"Hayes, what is your true intention?"

He scoffed at his twin Sister in response. He couldn't believe she would question him like that.

"I never had any intention since the moment I saved her life. Besides, she was the one who chose to learn."

"She's still a child, Hayes. Whatever is going in your mind, stop it."

"I was thinking of taking the child in, being her guardian, and sending her to the Academy. Want to stop that?"

Harriet gritted her teeth. She knew her brother too well.

He was fickle and acted impulsively. That is why she was worried that Hayes might do something dangerous with Zoella. Since they were kids, Hayes always did something she could never imagine. But also because of that, he was able to become the youngest 5th-grade mage.

However, his character never changed. He never listened to others. Although the intention of his deeds was good, how he did it was dangerous. He wouldn't mind sacrificing himself in order to do what he wanted.

Just like a mad dog.

"I simply worried since I know your personality. Now that you decided to take someone under your wing, you need to be more careful."

"I know that."

"Now, call the kids. I'll prepare the meals for us."

He got up and strode toward the twin's room. He knew that his sister was concerned about Zoella. Moreover, he never took in a disciple even though he received a lot of offers.

The reason was simply that he didn't want to. But it was different with Zoella.

From the moment he checked her mana, he knew that she needed to learn. No, she had to learn. If someone with a big amount of mana didn't learn to control it, it will be dangerous for themselves and their surroundings.

He also didn't want Zoella to get the wrong teacher. That child could be very dangerous since she was a fast learner. That was why he decided to take her in.

On the other hand, since Harriet was not a mage she couldn't detect mana like her brother. Seeing him suddenly take someone under his wing she couldn't help but be suspicious.

Harriet sighed as she didn't want to think about it anymore. She trusted her brother's judgments. While she prepared the meals, Hayes came with the kids and then sat on his chair.

"Anyways, how long will you stay?"

"As long I as like."

"You didn't fight with brother-in-law, did you?"

"Rude!"

The twins started to bicker leaving the confused Zoella with the two calm boys by her side. She still couldn't quite grasp the situation in her mind.

When Harriet's eyes meet hers, she smiled sweetly at her.

"I haven't introduced myself properly, have I? My name is Harriet Torneu. Hayes's twin sister and the boys' Mom."

"She currently fought with her husband that's why she ran away."

Harriet pierced gaze was directed toward Hayes and they started to bicker again.

"Can I ask why your Mother suddenly come?"

Zoella whispered to Rigel so that she didn't disturb the twins who still had not done with their fight.

"We usually come to Uncle's house after he got his days off and Mom will pick us up when he's about to work again. But sometimes she would come to visit us or run away when she had an argument with Dad."

Rigel whispered his answer as well. An understanding expression came across her face.

Zoella started to eat the meals in front of her.

"Zoella, can we talk?"

Harriet called out to her when she was about to enter her room. Zoella nodded and followed her to the backyard. They sat on a bench that was made of wood.

"Zoe, do you know what kind of person Hayes is?"

"I'm not quite sure."

Zoella shook her head. She only knew about him for a week. Even so, she still couldn't figure out what kind of person he is.

"My Brother is crazy."

Her eyes widened when she heard Harriet's remark. She knew that Hayes was not normal but for his Sister to say that he was crazy, maybe Zoella needed to consider her decision.

"I mean, he's a good person. But what he did until now was crazy. He joined the monster subjugation party and killed half of the monsters. He confronted the magic minister because they didn't do their job properly. He blew up a tower where a terrorist resided. And still many more."

Now that she heard about it, Zoella agreed with her. Her teacher was crazy. Come to think of it, Hayes never told her what his job was.

That guy was really weird.

"Even so, he's a very talented and powerful mage. Thus, I'm sure he will take very good care of you."

Harriet stared at Zoella with a motherly gaze. Somehow, she felt like kidnapping Zoella from her brother and raising her as her child.

She was squeaking inside wanting to hug Zoella tightly. She had seen many girls but this kid before her eyes really captivated her heart.

A gentle and pure-looking girl. That was her first impression when she saw Zoella.

"Anyways, you can always come to me anytime you want. And if that Brother of mine is annoying, just kick him in the balls."

Zoella chuckled and nodded. Harriet raised her hand to give her a pat on her head. Zoella flinched because she didn't know what to do. No one had ever patted her head until now.

"You've done so well to survive."

A calm soothing voice reached her ears. She didn't know why but this simple sentence made her happy and sad at the same time.

Living in an orphanage was not bad. But the prejudice of people made them feel ostracized. Many people sympathized with them but there are also many who didn't like them.

Simply because they didn't know who their parents are. A child with unknown roots.

However, hearing words like 'you've done well' made Zoella at ease. She felt like this person didn't care even if she didn't have parents. For her, Zoella was just a child.

The day went smoothly after that.