Part 28

A few hours earlier, the banquet had already started. Lavish gown, beautiful music, the best dessert and wine, and laughter filled the hall, everything seemed like that of a fairy tale.

However, that's not how it looked for Ezekiel.

This luxurious goods-filled hall was just another form of a battlefield where words and one's brain were the weapons.

Ever since his parents were betrayed by their vassal, Ezekiel learned not to trust anyone. Including the Royal Family. As such, he never let his guard down every time he attended an event hosted by the Emperor.

"I finally found you, Ezekiel."

A blonde-haired man with the same golden eyes as Ezekiel's approached him. He wore fancy white clothes that were the opposite of Ezekiel's black outfit.

William Dominic Vadian, The Crown Prince of The Vadian Empire.

"I greet the Crown Prince William."

Ezekiel bowed and greeted William, the Crown Prince who was also his blood-related family. William stood by Ezekiel's side. The two of them were so different that it was so visible.

"You know that you don't need to be formal with me, do you?"

"I cannot do that, Your Highness."

William sighed because he knew that he wouldn't be able to make Ezekiel relax around him. William had known Ezekiel ever since their childhood and he considered Ezekiel as his brother.

So naturally, he wanted Ezekiel to be at least less on guard around him. But he also understood why Ezekiel did that.

"You're still as stiff as ever.

As the two of them stood together, all eyes, especially the ladies, were fixated on them.

While the ladies were hoping to at least catch their attention, the men wished to have a friendship with them to increase their power and influence.

However, seeing The Crown Prince and The Grand Duke talking, no one dared to interrupt them. They could only wait until their conversation was over.

If it was only The Crown Prince, they would gather and try to talk to him.

William was known as a hospitable and attentive Crown Prince. And he often didn't have the heart to ignore the people who wanted to talk to him.

And so, to escape them he would be looking for Ezekiel and talk to him. Because even if Ezekiel was alone, only people with a great gut or his people would approach him.

"I thought you wouldn't come."

"It is an order I received."

"Must be hard for you to deal with those noble bastards."

"Yes. Fortunately, no one approached me today."

"How lucky you are."

If anyone were to hear this, they would faint from shock for sure. To think the kind-hearted Crown Prince they admired so much was saying something like that, no one would believe it.

Since they were far enough from the crowd, others couldn't know what they were talking about.

Even though he was speaking in an annoyed tone, his face was smiling as if he was talking about something good with Ezekiel.

So nobody knows that William was actually badmouthing them.

"Have you done what I asked?"

"Yes. All the documents related to Baron Merton will be delivered this afternoon by my aide."

"Excellent."

"Well then, I will take my leave."

William sighed as he couldn't stop Ezekiel from leaving. Somehow he had gotten used to his habit of leaving in the middle of a banquet.

"Your Highness, it's a pleasure to meet you. I am..."

"I greet your highness the Crown Prince."

"How do you do, your highness? I am..."

'Ezekiel, please come back...'

Once Ezekiel left his side, the nobles started to swarm around him. It's not even a minute after Ezekiel left but William wanted him to come back already.

On the other hand, Ezekiel escaped the party leaving William with a bunch of nobles who were trying to catch his attention.

He was never fond of an event like this since he would meet some disgusting nobles who only cared about power.

It was really lucky that William approached him not long after he entered the banquet hall.

At times like this, he usually would go straight to his manor. However, right now he was thinking about visiting the lake where he and Zoella usually met.

"Zoella."

His heart fluttered just by saying her name. Never even in his wildest dream, he would feel this way toward someone.

Although it hadn't been that long since he met Zoella, somehow Ezekiel found himself already putting his trust in her.

"She hadn't figured out who I am yet."

It took him by surprise that Zoella didn't recognize him as Grand Duke Lucelence. And yet this fact made him happy that he could be Ezekiel around her.

And so, he planned to tell Zoella about his real identity. But Ezekiel was afraid of her reaction once she found out.

"Still, it'd be better to tell her myself."

Ezekiel didn't want her to know about this matter from someone else. He had a feeling that Zoella would hate him if that happened.

He looked around to make sure no one saw him. Once he did that, Ezekiel ran out of the window and jumped onto the tree.

If he were a normal human, Ezekiel would've been fall. Since he was a Swordmaster, this kind of thing is easy for him.

Ezekiel continued to jump from one tree to another as it was the fastest way to get to the lake.

It's been 30 minutes and Ezekiel had arrived. He could see Zoella resting pleasantly under the tree while the other three people stroll around the lake.

He guessed the other people were Zoella's friends that she often brought up when they talk.

Ezekiel didn't have the heart to disturb them and thus he hid behind the bushes hoping that Zoella will stay longer than her friends.

"Done sightseeing?"

Ezekiel flinched because Zoella's voice was very clear.

He thought Zoella found him but turned out she was talking to her friends. Ezekiel breathes in relief while listening closely to their conversation.

"However, the Grand Duke is known for his notoriousness."

It was the rumors about him. Suddenly, Ezekiel's heart was filled with fear. He spent so much time just being himself around Zoella that he forgot that he was Grand Duke Lucelence.

"But that was just rumors, right? We never see him in person so we don't how he is."

Ezekiel raised his head once he heard Zoella's voice. The fear that was filling his heart slowly melted away. He was happy that Zoella didn't regard him as a monster as others did.

"What should I do?"

He mumbled as he covered his tomato-like face. Ezekiel was really happy that he wanted to come out of his hiding spot and hug Zoella right now.

But he held it in because he didn't want to freak them out. That day, Ezekiel stayed in that spot just to listen to Zoella's soft voice.