Part 47

"Here, thank you so much. Because of you, our village regains its serenity."

Hayes took the payment with a wide smile from the village chief.

"It's our pleasure. Then, we'll take our leave."

Hayes and Zoella bowed to the chief and leave the village with happy hearts. Hayes gave Zoella her portion just like their deal.

The total of the payment was fifty gold coins so both Zoella and Hayes got twenty five each.

'Sorry sister, looks like I need to fight monsters too now.'

Zoella still remembered her sister in the orphanage who taught her martial arts. She always said that unless they are monsters, fight them. But now if Zoella truly wanted to be a mercenary then she needed to fight monsters every so often.

"So, how was your first experience?"

"Pretty interesting. But I almost run out of arrows."

Currently, Zoella only had five arrows left after fighting the ogres and the wolf. She looked at her money and arrows repeatedly. It was her first salary and she needed to spend it soon.

Hayes already told her before they go to bring a sword too but Zoella was stubborn. She ignored him and only brought her bow.

"I told you, right?"

Hayes smirked at Zoella's troubled face. Zoella pursed her lips at her teacher's mock.

"We'll arrive at Loridge city soon. Let's get you a sword and some arrows."

Zoella nodded with her unchanged expression. Hayes patted Zoella's back softly a few times hoping it would make her better.

Shortly after, they arrived at the Loridge city the western region of the Vadian Empire. Seeing how crowded it was reminded Zoella of the capital.

"Come on."

Hayes led Zoella to a weaponry shop. Even though this place wasn't as big as the one in the capital, the weapons were of good quality.

"Welcome. How can I help you?"

"Ah, can you get us some arrows?"

"For sure."

While the shopkeepers went to get the arrows, Hayes looked at the swords one by one. Zoella also looked around when a sword suddenly picked her interest. She came closer to the sword and touched it.

"You want it?"

Zoella glanced at the price before she shook her head lightly. Hayes sighed at the unusual timid Zoella. She was always like this when it came to a sword. Somehow, she felt reluctant to wield it unless it was necessary.

Hayes took the sword and paid it along with the arrows.

"Thank you for your patronage."

The two came out of the store after Hayes paid for both items. Hayes put the arrows in her quiver and handed the sword.

"Take it. From now on, you will use this sword for the time being."

"Eh?"

"Put the bow and arrows in your bag."

Zoella did as she was told to. Even though she didn't like it, she still needed to do it as it was Hayes's order.

Hayes smiled in satisfaction. The two started to walk again to return to the mercenary guild.

Truthfully, Hayes also didn't want to separate Zoella from her beloved bow. But if this goes on, her close combat skills wouldn't improve.

He had no choice but to separate them for a while.