Part 44

'That's why I have decided to train more. Of course, I can just avoid them but how long do I have to do that? I will have to face them eventually. It'll be better if I have trained enough to fight them than do nothing.'

Zoella groaned while burying her face in a pillow.

'What bullshit am I spewing?'

After Harriet and Zoella had their talk, she went straight to her bedroom. Recalling Harriet's story about black mages sent a chill down her spine.

Zoella already knew that black mages were dangerous but not to this extent. If Zoella were to describe the black mages, a psychopath was the most suitable word for them.

'I should've just told Harriet that I trained to make myself stronger. Not to fight those scary people.'

Zoella banged her head on the soft pillow repeatedly while murmuring the word 'idiot' to herself. She stopped after a while as she felt dizzy.

Knock knock~

It took Zoella a while for her to turn her head to the doorway without changing her position. Beside the door, there was Hayes who stood there with a tray in his hand.

Two mugs and some cookies were placed on that tray. Without hearing Zoella's response, Hayes entered her room and leisurely sat on her bed.

"Now now, what's with that face? Are you having a fight with Harriet?"

"Of course not. Unlike certain someone, I prefer talking with peace."

"Oh, come on. It's not my fault. Harriet was just being a worrywart."

Zoella got up and took a mug from the tray. The heat immediately hit her skin the moment she touched the mug. The chocolate was steaming hot that Zoella couldn't drink it right away.

Hayes scoffed at Zoella's smug face. Just a moment ago she looked like she had done something so terrible but now Zoella enjoying herself teasing Hayes.

But that expression didn't last long. Her face went back to what she was earlier.

"Teacher, how many times have you encountered a black mage?"

Hayes took a quick glance at Zoella who stared blankly at her mug. Judging by her expression, Hayes could guess that Harriet told her about the incident.

The fact that his sister opened up about the story that caused her trauma to Zoella only meant that she was truly terrified that the same thing was to happen to Zoella.

"More than five times, I think. And yes, they are really dangerous. Even I was overwhelmed when I fought them."

Zoella tightened her grip on the mug. She looked at Hayes who seemed to be reminiscing the past.

Hayes blinked a few times before he turned to face Zoella.

"But, your training is never meant to fight them. Keep that in mind."

Zoella nodded firmly. She knew from the start that Hayes's plan to change their training style was just a precaution. Just in case something more dangerous than last time happened.

Hayes never wanted to make Zoella fight the black mage. In fact, he would advise her to run away if she ever met them.

"Ah, your piercing is well done. I'll thank Harriet later."

"You must. But, why did you give me this thing?"

Zoella picked a cookie from the plate while Hayes slurped his hot chocolate slowly.

"Well, nothing much. I just thought it'll be more efficient to communicate while we fight."

"That was surprisingly thoughtful of you, teacher."

"Why you little!"

Zoella giggled as she continued to munch her cookie. She spent the rest of the afternoon talking about random things with Hayes.

Now that she thinks about it, it had been a while since they last chatted like this. Before she went to Academy, Zoella always had time to converse with Hayes. But after they went, they would rarely meet unless it was necessary.

Zoella felt nice after she chatted with Hayes for a while. And that night, the atmosphere went back to normal when they had dinner together. The stiff air had completely vanished and was replaced by cheerful noises as usual.

***

It was finally time for Ezekiel to open his eyes. He could see his surrounding was no longer that of a prison. Rather, it was his bedroom.

Seeing Ezekiel pass out, his knights must have brought him back to his bedroom so he could be more comfortable. Ezekiel sat on his body as he pressed his temples.

During the time he passed out, the flow of memories suddenly filled his mind. Antaboga was the one who did that with the intention of fulfilling the deal.

"You're finally up."

Ezekiel turned to his left after hearing an unfamiliar voice. A man who looked like in his thirties with long white hair and weird clothing appeared before his eyes. Ezekiel didn't let any sound as he observed that man.

When Ezekiel looked at his snake-like eyes, he finally caught on.

"Antaboga."

"You really take your time, Ezekiel. No, should I call you Zaire?"

Antaboga put on a majestic smile on his face. Seeing Ezekiel's expression right now reminded him of the very first time they met.

300 hundred years ago, Ezekiel who was called Zaire back then managed to enter his lair. Antaboga was quite confused as his lair was like a gate to the afterlife. So the one who could come to his lair was the soul of the dead.

However, when Zaire came to his lair, he hadn't died yet. That was why Antaboga found him to be amusing and decided to make a deal with him.

"I'm called Ezekiel in this life. So just stick to that name."

Antaboga chuckled.

"That attitude of yours hadn't changed one bit."

Ezekiel ignored him as he still recollected his thought. The first moment he saw in his memory was when he first met Antaboga. At that memory, Zaire, his past self looked really desperate.

His wish was to revive his lover. However, Antaboga couldn't grant it as it was almost time for him to ascend. So they made another deal instead. Antaboga would reside in his body and when the time comes, he would return all of Zaire's memories to Ezekiel.

After that, a wave of guilt washed over him by the time Zaire's memories started to flow. Ezekiel squeezed his eyes as the unbearable pain pricked his heart.

The memories were so vivid as if he relived all of those things again. But what he remembered the most were the death of his lover, Elira, the deal he made with Antaboga the dragon, and his last words to him.

"The third is when the two become one. You remember that, right?"

Ezekiel turned his head to Antaboga once again. Now that he was given a second chance, he wouldn't make the same mistake. Now, he knew his top priority.

He stood to face Antaboga at a fair distance. It was because Antaboga had a certain air around him that Ezekiel felt reluctant to get close to him.

"We'll need a fake identity for you. Is becoming my guard will suffice?"

"Well, I need to lay low. Let's get along well, Ezekiel."

Ezekiel took Antaboga's outstretched hand and shook it. Once he released it, Ezekiel excused himself even though it was his own bedroom. Right now, he only had one thing on his mind.

He wanted to see Zoella's face. Only then, maybe the pain in his heart would subside. However, his simple wish seemed to need to be delayed.

Because as soon as he opened his office room, piled-up documents were already waiting for him.