Part 69

Despite the ruckus made by Dolores Mundford, the ball still continued peacefully. The nobles just brushed it off as a simple quarrel between children.

"Noah, where's your Sister?"

"She's with the ladies her age, Mother. I'm sure she will make some good friends."

Hearing that Mother-Son conversation, Hayes needed to hold his laughter with all his might. Zoella, rather than making friends made an enemy instead. But Hayes didn't need to say it.

"You sure there are no boys around her?"

"I'm sure, Father."

"Good. My daughter needs to wait at least 10 years to get married."

"I strongly agree."

Amelia could only shake her head as she listened to their conversation. Of course, she'd love it if Zoella didn't get married too fast. But ten years was too much.

On the other hand, the subject of their conversation was comfortably talking with a man. She suddenly felt chills on her spine out of nowhere.

'What was that? Did someone talk bad about me?'

Ezekiel who saw Zoella shivered slightly spoke.

"Should we go back inside?"

"I'm alright. You even give your jacket to me."

A black jacket contrasted with Zoella's silver dress enveloped her body. Zoella rejected it at first but Ezekiel didn't listen. But now she felt comfortable wearing it.

"I haven't said it yet."

"Huh?"

Zoella tilted her head as she looked at him in confusion.

"Congratulation on becoming an adult, Zoella."

A sweet smile appeared on her pretty face.

"Thank you. That reminds me, how old are you this year?"

"I'm 21."

"So, we're three years apart. By the way, are you on duty? But you're not wearing a uniform."

Ezekiel averted his eyes. He couldn't exactly tell Zoella that he came to the ball just to see her debut. He was going to use that excuse but now he couldn't.

"My... friend invited me to attend his relative's debut."

This friend Ezekiel talking about was definitely William. It wasn't William's relative's debut but he did invite Ezekiel to the ball so in a way, he wasn't lying.

"So that's how it is. Well, I'm happy that I get to see you here."

In his eyes, Zoella was shining like a fairy under the moonlight. When Zoella made her first appearance, Ezekiel couldn't take his eyes off of her. It was the same as this moment.

That little smile on her face, just how Ezekiel missed it all this time. His heart was thumping so loudly that he was afraid Zoella might hear it.

"I saw you dancing with Young Master Leighton earlier."

"You did? But how come I didn't see you?"

Ezekiel touched Zoella's wrinkled forehead before he answered.

"You seemed to enjoy yourself so much. Plus, I was in the crowd so it's natural that you couldn't see me."

Zoella looked at Ezekiel's smiling face in relief. She thought Ezekiel would treat her differently after he knew that she was a daughter of a noble. But that didn't happen.