Part 21

The sun had placed in the west and the sky had turned orange. Despite that, Zoella and Ezekiel still focused on their activities. Well, at least Ezekiel did.

Zoella couldn't focus on her book because of her curiosity about the black light that came out of Ezekiel's body. She kept on glancing to take a peek at him.

'I want to ask but he looks so focused.'

As she couldn't focus anymore, Zoella closed her book waiting for Ezekiel to wrap his training.

The light around Ezekiel's body started to fade.

'I can feel her gaze on me.'

He put his sword in the scabbard and approached Zoella who immediately stood up.

"Is there anything you want to say?"

Zoella nodded.

"What was that black light earlier? It looked like mana but it's not."

"That was an aura. Well, it's like mana but you need to reach the highest level of swordsmanship in order to obtain it."

"I see. It's my first time seeing it. I also use a sword myself but I don't think I can do that."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Only basic though because my teacher told me to."

"Your teacher... Who is-"

"Ackk! Look at the time. I need to go back now."

Zoella just realized that she'd been out for a whole day. It passed so quickly that she forgot about the time.

"Oh, shall I escort you?"

"It's alright. The dorm is near. Anyways, it's nice to meet you, Ezekiel. See you another day!"

And with that, Zoella rushed her way to the dorm. She hoped that Hayes would somehow forget to check on her today.

That teacher of hers seemed to distrust Zoella he always checked on her every weekend.

'Seriously I'm not a kid but he keeps treating me like one.'

Zoella slowed up her pace as the gate came into her view. However, the relief feelings didn't last long. Her face turned horror when she saw Hayes looking at her coldly.

She slowly approached Hayes while thinking of some excuses.

"Hi... teacher."

Zoella tried to give him the best cheerful smile she could. However, Hayes didn't budge. If anything, his glare became sharper than ever.

She has never seen her teacher get angry before so this time, Zoella was really scared.

"Mind telling me where you are just now, Zoella?"

Hayes smiled.

His smile made Zoella scared even more. And he didn't even call her by her nickname like usual.

'I'm doomed.'

Zoella gulped as she thought carefully about what she was going to say.

"I was... sight-seeing?"

Hayes didn't respond. But Zoella could tell that he didn't believe her.

She lowered her gaze because she also felt guilty that she didn't say anything before she went to the forest.

"I was bored then I went to the forest and found some herbs so I decided to observe them. I somehow arrived at some lake and decided to take a rest while reading my book and didn't realize the time."

She explained in a low voice that it sounded like a murmur.

Hayes let out a heavy sigh as he pressed his temples. He was shocked when he found out that Zoella wasn't in her room. There was no note either.

He was flustered because he didn't know what to do as this is the first time he became a guardian of a child.

So he chose to stay at the front gate to wait for her.

Hayes felt more relieved than angry when he saw Zoella rush from the forest.

"Did it slip your mind that maybe you need to inform me?"

Zoella bit her lips. Inform. Hayes didn't ask her to get permission. He simply wanted Zoella to leave him a notice.

"I'm sorry, teacher."

"I didn't ask for an apology. Next time, make sure to leave a note at least. Did you know how worried I was?"

"I'm... sorry."

Zoella still lowered her head. She didn't dare to raise it before Hayes told her to.

"Alright, I'll let this slide this time. But next time, you need to tell me. Go back now."

Hayes gave in. He didn't want to make Zoella stay outside longer since the moon has risen to replace the sun.

When he was about to leave, Zoella called him.

"Teacher... Uhm, can I buy some stuff?"

'Crap! I didn't want to ask this in this situation but dang it.'

Hayes frowned. Not because he thinks that Zoella was insolent but rather the fact she asked him for something for the first time.

He somehow felt glad that Zoella could depend on him.

"It's not something to be talked about after we had an argument but what is it?"

"Well, I'm kind of interested in the potion, poison, and antidote that I want to try to make them myself?"

Hayes didn't respond as he listened to his disciple's first request carefully.

"I noticed that the herbs in the forest were the ingredients to make them but I don't have the tools."

"Well, I don't mind the potion and antidote but poison? Are you trying to kill someone?"

"No!"

Zoella felt offended because Hayes put on a terrified expression on his face. She never thought about killing someone until Hayes mentioned it. She was merely interested. Well, maybe for now.

"I'm kidding. Make a list of what you need to buy and give it to me tomorrow. For now, you need to rest, okay?"

Zoella smiled as she nodded her head. Luckily Hayes was willing to listen to her. She was quite worried if he left just like that.

'Let's not make him mad again.'

She determined. It was really scary to see her teacher mad.

"Now, go to your room. I'll also go back."

Zoella nodded and walked to her room. She put the book on her desk before laying down on her bed. Today was such a long day. But she also had a lot of fun.

'I didn't tell him about Ezekiel.'

For some reason, Zoella felt reluctant to bring him up to Hayes. She was somewhat certain that Hayes would get the wrong idea if Zoella mentioned him.

'I'll be eighteen years old soon.'

Even though Zoella would reach adult age in a couple of months until then she still needed surveillance from a guardian.

Moreover, since she was an orphan, Zoella needed him more to act as the parent.

"Let's not get in trouble anymore."