Deception or truth?

" How strange is this that those who crave for the warmth of others love, do it in the most cold and apathetic ways.

They want it but conceal it, not begging for it.

And those who fake to love, do it in the most deceiving ways?"

         - Suzangill©

                 .........

I cover up my shocked look immediately. With a fascade of boldness. Gulping to answer back. Trying not to stutter.

"None of your concern , Mr Reed."

His intense gaze doesn't waver from me. To only have that scowl on his face to be replaced by a smirk of disbelief.

As he takes in my word.

My feet were turning ice and hands sweaty. But I don't show it. Nodding, I speak. Turning around to leave.

"Enjoy your night. Goodnight."

My heart was thumping against my ribcage , feeling those burning eyes on my back. I had taken just one step up the stair when his emotionless voice made me stop.

" I didn't aske you to leave now did I?"

" Come.Have a seat."

I just stand there, breathing heavily. Should I run to my room, I am feeling vary of the way he is talking ?
But then he will think I am a coward.

No. What's there to be afraid of. I will just sit for few minutes and leave.

"I am not going to eat you Stupid girl. Come here."

He orders. Placing one leg over the other, leaning back on the seat. And I merely nod.

I was going to settle on the seat in front of him, the farthest from him. When he pats the sofa beside him.

"Here"

What the hell is his problem? Biting my lip, trying not to retort back. I sit beside him..or rather in the other corner of the sofa. Maintaining a safe distance.

He doesn't say anything for next few minutes and the silence was getting really awkward.

But he didn't seemed to care.

Pouring himself another glass,he to lean back again, turning all his attention on me.

Asking casually while swirling his drink.

"So Ezra. How is work going?"

Why is he asking me this? He never cared for it. What's the catch. I am really feeling afraid of him now.

"It's good."

He nods. Taking another sip. His eyes set on my face, making me lower my gaze.

"You have dark circles under your eyes. Aren't you sleeping properly? Is something keeping you sleepless these days?"

I don't speak. Clenching my fists. Fake... the concern? it's all fake. Why is he acting. What's his motive.

"I thought you didn't cared Mr Reed. Why are you even asking this?"

A cynical laugh breaks out from his lips. As he keeps down the glass of whiskey, folding his hands. Looking at me.

"Indeed."

"You are right. I don't care for you Ezra."

Moving closer to me. He grabs my chin in his grip, forcing me to look at him.

"But"

Looking down at my lips for a second. He settles his eyes back on mine. Speaking in a serious voice.