Prologue

•••

•••

20th of March 2000. It was the time I first met Mikey-kun.

The sky was of a bright blue garnished with soft pink flying cherry blossom petals. Spring just began which meant new stories and new beginnings. But more important than that, it also meant the end of the school year was near, and that was thrilling for every child who only longed to play outside with their friends. Staying locked in a room for hours under the surveillance and order of an adult, how annoying for little beings who had too much energy for their little bodies. But this endless boresome would soon come to an end in a few weeks. How exciting! No more homework, no more exams, but plenty of free time to play or work out. How could someone not be happy about vacations? Sakiko was definitely one of the ones that were looking for vacations. She would finally be able to play the guitar and sing all day long. The dream!

"Saki-nee-chan!!!!" a 9 years old girl whined as she ran to the front door.

An older brown-haired girl just stepped into the house, removing her shoes and backpack as the little girl threw her petite body onto her older sister. Wrapping her small arms around the said Sakiko's waist, the little girl hid her face onto her stomach. The older girl only blinked and looked confusedly at her younger sister. Sumiko was always very energetic but she never tackled her older sister as soon as she was done with her school day. Sumiko knew Sakiko needed to rest or else Grandma Hana would be angry. And Grandma Hana is never angry.

"What is it, Sumi-chan?" Sakiko asked, patting her sister's head.

Sumiko moved her face full of tears upward, looking at her sister. Sakiko's mood immediately changed. From confusion to concern in a matter of a second. What happened? Why her sister was crying?

"Are you okay? What happened?"

"Katsuo keeps bothering me!" Sumiko cried. "He and his friends are mean! I don't like them! If it wasn't for Manjiro-san, I would be dead!"

"Ara~ ara~ don't exaggerate things, Sumiko," Sakiko slightly giggled.

"I'm not! It's true! Manjiro-san is my hero!" Sumiko exclaimed. Sakiko only laughed and whipped the tears away from her sister's face.

"Then next time you'll see him, you'll thank him, okay?" Sakiko said and Sumiko nodded. "Now, where was the last time you saw Katsuo and his friends?"

"The park in our neighborhood,"

"Alright, then go eat some cake, I'll be back soon," Sakiko pulled away from her sister and put her shoes back on.

"Are you going to fight? You can't fight! It's too tiring for you!" Sumiko stressed out as she grabbed her sister's hand, preventing her to leave the house.

Complaining to her sister was one thing, but for her sister to fight was another. Of course, Sumiko was overjoyed to know Sakiko was willing to fight to defend her, and in other circumstances, she would have even pushed her to it. But Sumiko only complained to Sakiko because she needed to hear her sister saying it was going to be alright. She didn't want Sakiko to fight. What if she ends up having an attack? Sumiko didn't want that? Yet she knew her sister was capable of anything when she was angry.