Chapter 9

"I can't believe you finally have a date with Mikey-kun," Sumiko squealed as she brushed her older sister's hair.

"You better not do anything over your age," Satohiko said, leaning on the frame of the door.

"It's not a date... Ken-chin, Emma-chan, Takkun, and Hina-chan are also coming," Sakiko said, trying to convince herself.

"What do you mean by things over her age, oni-chan?" Sumiko asked, tilting her head to the side.

"Nothing, nothing," he patted her head, dismissing the conversation.

August 3rd arrived quicker than she expected. And she was not really mad at it. She was actually glad. Her mind had only been filled with excitement and expectations for the festival. She loved the festival and the food and games there, but she had to admit, the fact that Mikey was going with her was even better.

So on such occasion, Sumiko decided to help her sister get ready. The younger Yamashita was doing her sister's hair. Once it was untangled, Sumiko braided the brown locks of Sakiko and put them into a low bun. She let a few strands free to frame the petite visage of her sister.

"Do you know what you will tell him?" Sumiko asked as she sat on Sakiko's bed.

"What do you mean?" Sakiko frowned as she took her ironed purple kimono from her wardrobe.

"When you'll confess. Do you know what you will say?"

"What?!" Sakiko madly blushed. "I- no- I mean...,"

"Come on! It's the best time to tell him! You better not chicken out!"

"Be straightforward, it'll be easier," Satohiko said. "It's like ripping a band-aid off. The faster, the better,"

Sakiko said nothing and just observed her kimono. Confessing? People made it look so easy yet it was such a hard thing to do. Admitting one's feelings, expressing them to the person you like... it was like undressing in front of them... and the worse thing is that there was almost no way to know if they would reciprocate your feelings. And if they didn't... gosh, Sakiko didn't want to know. She didn't want to think about it. It would only make her nervous for the rest of the night. All she wanted was to enjoy the festival with Mikey. After everything that happened, they all needed so good and fun time.

The group had agreed to meet at the festival around eight in the evening. It was already seven and a half so Sakiko had to hurry if she wanted to be on time. But as she was about to change for her kimono, her phone rang. She just got a text. It was from Mikey. A smile immediately reached her lips, but when she read it, it quickly faded.

Sorry, Saki-chin, but something came up. Pehyan needs my help. I can't come to the festival.

Sakiko sighed and fell backward on her bed.

"What is it?" Sumiko asked, curious. As an answer, Sakiko handed her phone to the younger Yamashita.

"Oh...," Sumiko said as she read Mikey's text.

"That punk," Satohiko cursed.

"But you're still gonna got to the festival, right?" Sumiko asked. "You gotta have fun, you know. Who cares Mikey-kun's not coming?"

"I care," Sakiko muttered.

"You're so down bad for him," Satohiko laughed.

"Shut up!" Sakiko shouted, madly blushing. But Satohiko only kept laughing.

Sakiko's phone then rang again.

"It's Emma-chan," Sumiko said. "She asks if you're still coming since Mikey's not,"