Chapter 13

"Goodbye” and ”Thank you” at the top of my voice
What’s more important than grief
Hoping that they reach you as we part
In time for the warmth and pain"

A melodic voice filled the silent air of the cemetery. The cold wind of autumn blew, moving Sakiko's brown hair and carrying her voice to the sky. The sky was grey and covered with thick clouds, hiding the so bright sun rays. The cold was puncturing Sakiko's skin like sharp needles. The grey memorial was tall, decorated with flowers and offerings. On it was engraved "Yamashita family".

"Held captive by nostalgic memories
Wailing at the cruelty of this world
There will be even more as I grow older
I never want to lose anything again,"

The music of her voice was gently moving around, blending with the wind. As she sat on the icy floor before the tombstone, Sakiko reorganized the offerings. Flowers of different kinds, pictures, food, objects... Her voice was steady and soft as she placed new flowers before the stone.

"With a roar, it’s crumbling down
Our one and only,
Irreplaceable world,"

She stopped. And she kneeled before the tombstone, pressing her hands together. She closed her tired eyes and prayed in a newfound silence. Nothing was said, nothing was heard. No bird chirping, no leaves brushing, no vehicle passing by, nothing. Just pure silence, pure void. This death-like nothingness was yet so calm and peaceful.

Sakiko opened her brown eyes again and pushed herself up, standing. She took the bottle of sake she brought with her and poured the liquid on the tombstone.

"It's been a while I didn't come," she said, in a quiet voice. "I'm sorry, a lot of things happened. But I brought this good sake for you,"

When the bottle was empty, Sakiko sat back where she was. She observed the engravings on the stone as a picture of her parents flashed in her head. A beautiful brown-haired woman signing on a stage before a crowd of people beside a man with black hair playing the piano. It was the first time Sakiko saw her parents performing together on stage. It was different than the cute little songs her mother would sing her to put her to sleep or to calm her down when she was crying. It was a whole other level of magnificence and perfection, and since then, Sakiko dreamed of becoming a singer on the level of her so talented mother. Since then, she wished to sing on a stage with her mother, but that dream will never happen.

"I've been doing good at school," Sakiko continued. "I try to do my best not to disappoint you. I want to be able to provide for my family and protect them. Though I don't know what I want to do with my life. I want to be like you, mom, but that's not possible anymore,"

None of her childhood dreams would be realized anymore. Nothing too exhausting was for her. Now desk job may be the only things left so Sakiko. Though she had no desire to stay sat all day doing paperwork or something. Maybe there was something else? But if it was not related to music, it wouldn't really thrill her that much.

"I've made new friends also. Her name's Hinata and she is adorable. She's kind but is willing to fight for the one she loves. I guess she matches Toman's spirit. I met her through Emma who she met at a Toman meeting. Takkun - my other new friend - was there and Hinata and he are dating. Takkun's a fun guy. He somehow reminds me of Shinichiro-san. Oh! You know, at some point, I wanted to confess to Mikey-kun, Shin-san's younger brother. But things happened and I don't know if I will anymore... Wouldn't it be cruel? I think you would like Mikey-kun. I wish you would have met him...,"