Chapter 44

Sakiko was still sitting on the dark floor in the middle of this black and empty space in between. A frown flawed her face as she watched the light. It was different. It was still dim, but this time it was flickering, wavering. It seemed to disappear for a moment then reappear on to disappear right after. It was strange. It seemed like it was weaker, then brighter. What did it mean? Would she be stuck in the space in between forever? Or would the choice be taken away from her? Did she take too much time?

"What's happening?"

"It means you're running out of time,"

Sakiko froze. She sucked in her breath. Slowly, she looked behind her. Two people were standing a few feet away from her. A woman was dressed in a beautiful dress, her brown hair falling flawlessly on her shoulder. She was smiling with such tenderness to Sakiko as her arms were locked with the arm of the man beside her. His jet black hair was matching his formal, suit. The one he would always were for his performance. He, too, was smiling at Sakiko with love.

A lump formed in the Yamashita girl's throat as tears flooded her eyes. She pushed herself up, her face full of tears already, as she dashed toward the couple. She launched herself toward them, wrapping her arms around the both of them as she cried. She pulled them closed to her, feeling them. Smelling their perfume, feeling their natural warmth, hearing their soft chuckles.

"Mama... papa...," Sakiko sobbed.

She had dreamed of this moment so many times. Seeing them again, she dreamed of that so many times. To feel them again, to feel their heartbeat, to hear their voice. Sakiko couldn't hold her tears back. It was a second chance at seeing them. A second chance many people were not granted. So at the moment, she let her emotions all out. And she hugged her parents tightly.

"My baby, how beautiful you have become," Mrs. Yamashita smiled, wrapping her arms around her daughter. Sakiko wept even more.

"Mama! Papa!" she cried out. "I'm sorry! I'm so sorry! It's my fault if you died! It's all my fault!"

She had dreamed of telling them this for so long. She had wanted to apologize for so long. If she wouldn't have told them she wanted to go see a musical, they would still be alive. They would still be by her side. Satohiko wouldn't be eaten by guilt. Sumiko would grow up with both her parents. The Yamashita family would still be whole.

"What are you saying?" Mr. Yamashita said. "You couldn't have known,"

But Sakiko answered nothing. She let her tears fall as she hugged them close. She didn't want them to leave. She wanted them to stay. She wanted to be with them. After all these years, she was seeing them again. She didn't want to let go.

"Don't blame yourself for things that are out of your control," Mrs. Yamashita said. "You tell that to your friends. It's time for you to follow your own advice,"

Sakiko pulled away. Her father gently cupped her face and brushed her tears away.

"You made a lot of friends on the way," he gently smiled. "I'm happy,"

"You even got a boyfriend, now," Mrs. Yamashita chuckled. "I like him,"

Sakiko looked away a moment, her cheek pinked from embarrassment. It felt strange to talk about it with her parents, but it felt good at the same time. She would have never thought she could have this occasion one day.

"I miss you so much... every day...," Sakiko said, looking at them, eyes full of sorrow.

The parents' eyes softened even more. They were glad they got to see their beloved daughter again. They had watched over her all this time and there were so many things they wanted to tell her, yet so little time. They were proud of the girl she had become. She had gone a long way and never gave up. They wished they would have been there with her, with Satohiko, ad with Sumiko to see them all growing up. But life was cruel.