Chapter 17

Mikey was looking confusedly back and forth between his bowl of soft butter and the recipe on the pastries book. He had been working for an hour on cupcakes and had just finished the muffin. Now he was working on the buttercream but the book was using words he had no idea what the meaning was. He knew making cupcakes shouldn't take this long but he was not the cooking type. Usually, it would be Emma or Grandpa that would be cooking. And Shinichiro when he was still alive. So Mikey had never had to cook anything. Until today.

"Emma!" Mikey called.

Just a few seconds later, a blonde head peeked inside the kitchen.

"What?" Emma said.

She had to stifle her chuckled when she caught sight of her brother. His hair was tied in a man bun as he was wearing her apron over his pajamas. Flour was on his cheeks and nose.

"What does whisking mean? Isn't the same thing as stirring?" he washed, completely lost.

"Eh?" Emma tilted her head on the side.

The kitchen counter was in a complete mess. There was flour everywhere, a bowl of empty eggshells with spoons and small cups. And just below, the oven was on, baking muffins.

"Wait- you've been cooking for all this time?! I thought you were eating or something,"

It wouldn't be the first time Mikey would stay in the kitchen, eating and eating and falling asleep. So seeing her brother taking time, she didn't question it. Emma would have never thought Mikey would have been cooking all this time. Usually, he just doesn't cook.

"Help me. I'm lost," he whined childishly.

Emma chuckled a bit as she walked over to where he was.

"I'll do it for you," she kindly said.

"No I wanna do it myself," he stopped her, moving the bowl away from her. Emma looked at him, taken aback. Mikey never refused her help usually. "Saki-chin always cook for me, I wanna do it for her too,"

"You're cooking for Saki-chan?" Emma repeated, even more surprised.

"It's her birthday today," he just said, looking back at the content of the bowl.

"I never thought you would cook one day," Emma softly smiled.

For Mikey to cook, it meant that he really loved Sakiko. Mikey was a baby. Despite being o strong and charismatic, he was a real child. Neither Draken nor Emma minded taking care of him. That was due to his natural cuteness. So for him to actually cook something for someone, and not be cooked something, it was quite huge. It could seem silly, but Emma knew it was a big deal.

"Doesn't Draken cook for you sometimes?" Mikey asked, confused.

"Why would he?" Emma asked back, confused as well.

"I don't know, isn't that what couples do?"

"Eh? What does this have to do with-" Emma asked but then cut herself off.

If Mikey was comparing her relationship with Draken to his with Sakiko, it meant only one thing. Eyes wide, Emma stared at her brother in the most utter shock yet happiness.

"Wait... are you and Saki-chan...,"

"Yeah, we're dating. I kissed her the other time," Mikey said, as it was not that big of a deal. "Now will you tell me how to whip the cream or nah?"

"You... what...," Emma blinked at him, at the loss of words. So it was official. It really happened. Mikey had finally found someone! "Anyway, listen carefully,"

Emma stayed for the following thirty minutes with Mikey, giving him instruction on how to properly whisk the buttercream. She then helped him to put it in a poaching bag and they waited for the muffins to bake. When they were done and cooled, the youngest Sano explained to the Commender of Tokyo Manji kai how to decorate the cupcakes. The first few tries were not really successful but when he got the hang of it, Mikey did pretty well. He did his best to make teddy bear cupcakes.