Chapter 18

Mikey was heading to the Yamashita house. Before leaving his house, he made sure the cupcakes were still looking more or less good. He put the little box - Sakiko's gift - in the plastic bag as well. Truth to be told, Mikey was a bit nervous about giving Sakiko her gifts. It was the first time he cooked something in his like. Even though Emma assured him it was good, he was still a bit doubtful. Never in his life, he would have thought about cooking, let alone for someone. But Sakiko was not anyone. So he was willing to try new things.

Months ago, he wouldn't have cared about such things. But now it was different. Now he was dating her. And he wanted it to last so he was willing to last. And now that it was official between them, he really wanted it to work. For months, years even, it had been quite ambiguous between them. Now it was real. Mikey was not scared. He loved her and was not ashamed to say it. And he really wanted Sakiko to be happy with him. Of course, he would never say it to anyone.

It felt so strange. Usually, Mikey was so confident and carefree, charismatic with his men. But when it was with Sakiko, it was completely different. It was like being naked. He was completely vulnerable with her and didn't care to show his "weak" side. It was so different than the one version he was in front of the others. But he didn't mind. Actually, he appreciated it. It was like being free of weight. He had to be strong for his men because their mood and confidence were accorded to his. But with Sakiko, nothing of that cared. He could just be himself and it would change nothing between them.

Mikey eventually reached the street where the Yamashita house was. But he slowed down as he spotted someone by the gates, looking around frenetically. The Sano boy slightly furrowed his eyebrows, cocking his head on the side as he recognized the bleached blond boy.

"Takemitchy?" Mikey said. The Hanagaki boy abruptly faced him. "What are you doing here?"

But instead of answering, Takemichi strode rapidly toward him, alarmed. Mikey's frown deepened. He was aware something was wrong.

"Mikey-kun! Did you see Saki-chan?!" Takemichi questioned, panicked.

"Eh? I just arrived," Mikey said, staring at his friend.

Takemichi's face liquified as he looked back around. He was clearly panicked and scared. But why? Why was he so worried about Sakiko? What did he know Mikey didn't?

"When I left she was still there," Takemichi muttered to himself. "Where the hell is she?!"

Mikey observed the Hanagaki boy a moment. He had a plastic bag, from a grocery store. Did he buy something for Sakiko? He said he was there when he left, meaning he already visited her. Why? Was he keeping an eye on her? Why? Was an attack planned?

His thoughts came to an end when he spotted something on the floor. Mikey frowned as he walked toward it, under the confused gaze of Takemichi. The Sano boy crouched down and took it. It was a purple teddy bear charm.

Mikey sucked into his breath as he clenched his jaw. He knew how much this charm meant to Sakiko. Never she would have ever taken it from her phone. Mikey had a bad feeling. A very bad one. The thread that linked the charm to the phone looked ripped. What the hell happened? Where was Sakiko?

"Takemitchy," Mikey called in a sudden very serious and dark voice. "Why are you here?"

"Eh? Uh... to wish her a happy birthday-"

"Why are you really here?" the Commander of Toman cut him off. "And you better not lie,"

Takemichi sweatdropped a bit. The look on Mikey's face was somber and dark, the same scary look he had when he threatened him about failing to bring Baji back. Takemichi knew that he'd better not play with Mikey right now because his patience was running really low. Heck, he must have now by the look of this.