Chapter 23

The sun was high in the sky, burning bright and casting its pure light on Tokyo. Sitting on the bottom stairs leading to the Musashi Shrine, an eleven years old girl was waiting, fanning herself with her hand. Her friends were already up at the Shrine like they were used to for their regular hang out. All but one. Sakiko decided to wait for him though now, the heat of the summertime was getting the best of her. She was starting to get a headache. And could even get, or maybe already had, a sunburn.

Though the roaring of a motorbike was then heard in the parking lot. Sakiko looked up only to see an all too familiar bike ridden by a dark-haired boy around her age. Sakiko stood up, a scowl on her face and her fists on her hips.

"Baji-kun!" She exclaimed as the boy got off of his bike. "You're late again! Don't you know how to be on time?"

"Sorry, sorry," Baji said in a dismissive way as he walked over to her. "Don't make a fuss out of it, I'm here now,"

The pout on Sakiko's face grew bigger as she was about to scold him again. However, she stopped herself when she noticed the other boy beside him. He was around their age. He had a beauty mark near his right eye and a tiger tattoo on his neck. He seemed quite awkward, almost hiding behind Baji.

"Oh, that's the guy I told you about," Baji said, noticing her curious stare.

Baji had indeed told her and the rest of the boys that he would present them with his new friend. From what she had understood, Baji had saved him from a group of so-called friend that was in fact taking advantage of him. Since then, they were often together so Baji decided to introduce him to his group of friends.

"I'm Kazutora...," the boy said in a quiet voice.

He seemed to not be very comfortable, which was understandable. He would be about to meet a group of people he had never heard of. Though, if they were Baji's friends, they must be good people.

Seeing his discomfort, Sakiko curled up her lips in a warm and gentle smile.

"Hi! I'm Sakiko," she cheered, extending her hand to him. "Let's be friends!"

Kazutora seemed quite taken aback by the genuine joy exuded by the girl in front of him. He had never seen something being genuinely happy or pleased to meet him. It was strange, but a very pleasant feeling. He sensed no ill intentions coming from Sakiko. With his old group of friends, Kazutora knew they were not the genuine type or the sincere one. But they were his friends, or at least he thought so, so he stayed. But with Sakiko, with Baji, and later on with the Toman boys, there was no room for doubts. They accepted him not because they needed him for something, but just because he was him. They accepted him for who he was.

So Kazutora extended his arm and shook Sakiko's hand, causing the smile on Sakiko's lips to grow wider.

"All right," Kazutora nodded.

"Let's go meet the others, Tora-chan!" Sakiko smiled, dragging him to Shrine and surprising him. Though, a smile garnished his lips as well.

"Hey! Wait up for me!" Baji exclaimed, running after them.

The grey clouds of November were hiding the azure sky and the golden sun. The cold wind of autumn was blowing, sending chills through Sakiko's skin as she stood in front of the gate of the very unsettling and imposing building. Wire fences were protecting the facility and separating the different areas. The concrete grey walls of the building were matching the sky, almost blending in the strange discomforting atmosphere. Never Sakiko had ever thought she would have found herself here.