Chapter 22

The air was chilling, blowing Sakiko's hair. Leaning on the jingle jungle, she observed the grey and cloudy sky. It was not as blue as it was a few days ago. It was cold, uninviting, sad. It was bland, with no joy and hope. Such an atmosphere on such a day, was it a sign? A week had passed since Sakiko's birthday. October 31st, Holloween, was already there, meaning the fight opposing Toman and Valhalla was about to take place.

Sakiko did not know what to expect. She trusted Toman. She trusted Draken. She trusted Takemichi. She trusted Mikey. But she still had a bad feeling. She didn't know why, it was as if deep down inside her she knew something would happen. Stomach twisted, discomfort in the heart, Sakiko knew. After everything that happened, after the literally failed attempt murder on her, she knew Valhalla would not hold themselves back. And she feared what could happen. With Kazutora being unstable, Hanma being unpredictable, and Kisaki possibly leading them, anything could happen. And that scared her.

Sakiko's thoughts were interrupted when her phone rang. It was a text from Draken. He was asking when she would be at the hideout. Sakiko was the medic of the gang, so when a fight was planned, she would wait at the hideout from them to come back and treat their wounds. She liked helping them but waiting behind was also incredibly dreadful. She never knows if they would all come back in one piece.

Sakiko quickly answered Draken, telling him she would be there soon. Though first, she had to do something. The Yamashita girl closed her phone, jingling the teddy bear charm attached to it. She had changed the string so she could have it with her, always.

Seeing this charm, it felt like a century had passed by. The time when Baji, Mikey, and she were playing around together, recklessly and innocently was felt so long ago. There was such a rift it felt like it never happened. Baji was no longer in Toman, heck, he was an enemy. How did they get to that point? It wasn't supposed to be like that.

"Feeling nostalgic?" She heard.

Looking up, she saw Baji walking toward her, hands in the pockets of his Valhalla jacket. Looking at him dressed up like that, not wearing the Toman uniform, she thought it wasn't looking good on him. It felt so foreign, so strange.

"I was afraid you wouldn't come," Sakiko said, leaning out of the jingle jungle.

Baji came to a stop before her. Towering her of a few centimeters, he looked down at her. It was like this time she talked to him after he left the gang, he looked at her with cold eyes, as if he despised her. But Sakiko knew better. She knew him.

"Why did you ask to see me for?" Baji asked blankly

"Why don't you come back, Baji-kun," Sakiko said.

Baji sighed, visibly annoyed, and turned away.

"Save your words, Chifuyu and Takemichi already tried," he said as he started to walk away

"If you really were with Valhalla, you wouldn't have tried to save me!" Sakiko exclaimed. Baji stopped. "If you really were with them, if you really cut all of your ties with Toman, you wouldn't have tried to save me,"

He could play the cold boy, Sakiko was not dumb. He could try to pretend as much as he wanted, Sakiko was not easy to fool. They grew up together, she knew him well. She knew how much Mikey, Draken, Pah-chin, Mitsuya, and Kazutora were like family to him. Never he would go against them without a good reason and Kazutora was not enough.

"It's different," Baji only said.

"How so?!"

"Because you're-," he turned to her but cut himself off. Baji inhaled and sighed. "I won't come back,"

"Why?" Sakiko asked, almost pleading. "I know it's not only for Kazutora-kun. I know you, Baji-kun. You have something in mind. You don't have to fight alone! If it's about Kisaki, we-,"