Potential New Books, Deleted Scenes & Anecdotes

While making this story, a lot of ideas went through my head. I had a lot of things in mind, ideas that I wanted to write. But everything cannot be adapted for the sake of the plot, and on the contrary, some things must be altered for the plot or the characters. That's why the version you have read is very different from the first version I had in mind. So I thought it would be funny to tell you all about that, to share anecdotes, and the deleted scenes. So enjoy!

ANECDOTES:

• The book was supposed to be called "More than my own life" at first, referring to the love both Sakiko and Mikey had for each other. Then I considered naming it "Promise" but I changed it to "My Sanity" as the more I wrote, and the more I realized they were each other's light and savior.

• Formerly, each chapter was supposed to begin and end with a sentence from Sakiko's letter. But there was not enough and some were not fitting the vibe of the chapters so I changed my mind.

• A part of Sakiko's letter is lyrics from the OST "Wishes" by Jamie Miller, for the K-drama "Snowdrop".

• Sakiko's letter was the first thing I have written in this book. Even before the prologue and the synopsis.

• Chapters 2 and 4 were added when I had almost finished the pre-writing of the book. I felt like I didn't explore enough Mikey's feelings for Sakiko in the beginning so I dedicated two whole chapters to that.

• The interludes were not supposed to exist at first. But I wanted to keep the concept of Tokyo Revengers clear as well as show the future and its stakes without having the focus off on Sakiko too brutally and for too long.

• At first, Sakiko was not supposed to be a Toman member. She was supposed to be an outsider only (like Emma). But I felt like involving her further in the gang made the story more interesting and made sense as to why she was always helping them. But as she had heart failure, she could not fight. So I made her the gang's medic. Then when I kept writing, I realized she was also an advisor to Mikey and the others.

• The conversation between Sakiko, Emma, and Hinata about telling Mikey about the fact her health had worsened was supposed to be a conversation between Draken and Sakiko when she would have visited him at the hospital. But since Sakiko and Emma are best friends, I thought it would have made more sense if Emma was the one Sakiko confided in.

• At first, Baji was not supposed to have feelings for Sakiko. But I love him so much that I wanted him to have a slightly bigger part in Sakiko's life. It also made more sense as to why she was so much affected by his death. So I ended up writing him as a lover from afar.

• Consequently, I had considered the fact of Baji giving his heart to Sakiko. Like, he would have left a sort of will and would have made all the test to check if he could be a donor for her. But I read it was better for the patient and the donor to be the same sexe because the size of a male heart is bigger than the size of a female heart which increase the risks of death. So in the end, I dropped the idea. Baji and Sakiko have also different blood types (Baji is AB and Saki is O) which also makes the transplant impossible.

• At first, there was supposed to be another OC that would have been Sakiko's classmate. He would have been close to her, making Mikey jealous. The OC would have been part of Valhalla. As such, he would have been there on the rooftop instead of Baji. He would have also been the second "love interest" instead of Baji. But I decided not to write him as when I was writing the story, I realized that there were literally no chapters where they were at school. And school was supposed to be the only place where he and Sakiko would have interacted. Besides, I like keeping the focus on the Toman boys.

• When Kazutora brought Sakiko on the rooftop to kill her, he was supposed to give away the fact that Baji was in love with Sakiko. The day after, Baji was supposed to visit her and they would have talked it out. But I decided not to write it because I felt like it was useless and too forced.