Chapter 42

"Gonna watch it forever?" Baji asked.

He didn't know how long Sakiko sat on the floor, staring at the shimmering light a few feet away from them. She had said nothing, just watched it. She vaguely remembered talking with Mikey before being back in this dark place. It was strange, it felt like she had barely left. It felt as if she had just left the time of a blink. And when she opened her eyes again, she was at the same spot beside Baji. Though, he was looking at her annoyed. It seemed like he was not pleased to see her back.

When she came back, Sakiko just stared at the light. She was certain now that it was not a door to go back to her friends and family. Then there was only one answer left. It was the way to the afterlife. Knowing that she had rushed to it a few moments ago was a bit scary. She would have left without knowing. But then, death was untimely and unexpected. That was the human condition. That was what life was so precious and must be cherished. That was why one should live without regret.

This light was the portal to the other world. On the other side was where her parents were. On the other was where Baji was staying now. Should she follow him there? It was clear he didn't want her there. What should she do?

"How is it on the other side?" Sakiko suddenly asked, not tearing her eyes away from the weak light. It was so frail it seemed it would vanish at any moment. Did it mean something?

"Not telling ya," Baji said.

Sakiko slightly grimaced. She knew he was not saying that to annoy her or to play the mysterious boy. He just didn't want to potentially provide her an answer that would convince her to follow him. So he would rather say nothing.

Truth be told, a part of Baji wanted to be selfish. He wanted to spend time with her. And if she was to come with him, they would be together forever. Though he couldn't ask her that. There were still a lot of people that cared for her outside. There were so many people that needed her outside. People that needed her more than he does. No matter how much Baji loved her, her happiness what was mattered the most to him. And he was convinced that she would not be happy if she come with him. Not as much as she would be if she was with the one she loves.

"Do you think I'll go to heaven? I wonder what it is like," Sakiko said.

"Who told you I was in heaven?" Baji sniggered. Sakiko rolled her eyes but chuckled.

It was true that after everything he had done, the question was to be asked indeed. After all, Baji was part of a gang and fought a lot of people. He even broke into a shop that resulted in a tragedy, though he didn't mean it. But it had also made good actions, so did it balance in his favor? Sakiko wondered.

And what about Sakiko? Would she go to heaven or hell? She felt like she had done good actions. She didn't feel like she had done wrong. But then again, she might be biased. Good and bad, these notions differed from person to person.

"You'll only see when you'll be there one day," Baji shrugged.

"You'll not going to tell me anything, are you?" Sakiko teased him.

"I'm not gonna make such a big decision for you," the boy said in the most seriousness. Sakiko finally looked at him. "There's no going back after that. So you gotta be sure. Either you cross the light, or you walk away,"

Sakiko moved her eyes back to the shimmering light. She knew her life depended on this decision. Someone else would have surely walked away long ago. But when she looked back on her life, Sakiko felt sadness. Losing her parents, having heart failure, losing her friend, then another one... Going to the hospital almost every month, not being able to do what normal people of her age do... It weighed on her all this year. If she cross the light, she would be reunited with her parents, and her pain would finally stop.