Chapter 16

"Happy birthday, one-chan!"

Sakiko was suddenly snapped out of her deep sleep as she felt a weight abruptly falling on her back. She groaned, tired and confused, as she slowly opened her eyes. She moved the strands of hair that were covering her face and was Sumiko, widely smiling, and lying on her back, perpendicularly.

"Eh...?" was all Sakiko could say.

She was still in slumber, between awake and asleep. She blinked a few times, the time for her eyes to adjust to the light. She sat up when Sumiko sat on the bed, her smile not leaving her lips.

"Come on! Get up! Nii-chan made fluffy pancakes!" the youngest of the Yamashita sibling joyfully said. "Then we'll be going to the mall!"

"Why are you more excited than me when it's my birthday?" Sakiko smiled as she rubbed her eyes.

"Because we'll finally be able to all spend time together, with nii-chan!" Sumiko grinned. "Now come on! It's your day today!"

Sumiko grabbed her sister's hand and pulled her up before dragging her to the kitchen. Sakiko had no choice but to follow her. Though she was still tired by this sudden awakening, she was still quite merry. It had been quite some time since the Yamashita sibling hadn't spent a real-time together. So Sakiko was pretty happy to get to have fun with them. And on her birthday at that. It was a Saturday so neither Sumiko nor Sakiko had school. And Satohiko closed the bike shop especially to spend time with his sisters. On such a day, there was no way he would not spend it with Sakiko.

"Oh, look who's there! The birthday girl!" Satohiko smiled as he saw Sakiko being dragged by Sumiko.

The youngest Yamashita sat her sister and took a seat beside her. Satohiko placed a plate full of pancakes on the table. He then wrapped his arm around Sakiko's shoulders and kissed her hair.

"Happy birthday, Saki," he smiled.

Sakiko broadly smiled, thanking him. Sumiko served her sister, though she didn't have to. But since it was Sakiko's day, Sumiko wanted to treat her like a princess. On this day, Sumiko wanted her sister to forget everything that was bothering her and to just have fun and be happy. Nothing was to disturb this joy.

When they were done eating this delicious breakfast, the siblings all returned to their room to get ready. Sumiko told them to wear something comfortable. It was clear she had planned something, but what exactly? It was a mystery.

When they were all ready, they headed to the subways. It was not possible for the three of them to ride Satohiko's motorbike so the only way left was the public transport. Sumiko was leading the way, joyfully. She was confident that her sibling would be loving the place she would bring them to. After a train and bus, the Yamashita family arrived at the large mall. Sakiko and Satohiko followed their little sister until they all stopped at an ice skating pitch. Friends, families, lovers were skating on the false ice. Some were racing, others were dancing to the music that was playing. The atmosphere was light and filled with laughter, as nothing bothering plagued them.

"We're here!" Sumiko exclaimed, proudly.

"How did you know there would be an ice skating arena?" Satohiko asked, admiring the place.

"My friends at school wanted to go there," Sumiko said, heading to the area to get ice skates. "But I wanted to come with you two,"

"What a loving sister!" Satohiko wrapped his arm around Sumiko's shoulder and messed with her hair.

Sakiko only giggled, seeing them. Sumiko was complaining and trying to escape Satohiko's hold but he was too strong. A soft smile reached her lips as she watched them. It had been a long time they hadn't spent time together like this. Satohiko was busy with work, and Sakiko and Sumiko with school work. Then there was also the gang and the medical consultations. It had been a disturbed and stressful time.