Chapter 34

PAST

The sun was shining bright in the sky, casting its joyous light on Tokyo. In a park in a residential neighbourhood, two teenagers were lazing around. The blond boy was sat on the jingle jangle. The brunette girl was at the feet of the construction, leaned against it.

"Wakasa will come over tomorrow," Sakiko smiled, merry.

Though, upon hearing that, a frown and a pout flawed Mikey's face. It had not gone unnoticed by him that Sakiko seemed always very happy whenever the Imauchi boy was around. She would always be smiling or talking about him, to the Sano boy's greatest dismay.

"It has been a while nii-chan hadn't spent time with him so he invited him over," Sakiko continued. "I'm happy, Wakasa is so kind and cool!"

"I've known cooler guys," Mikey grumpily said.

"Ah, really? But Shin-san said Waka was the strongest," Sakiko recalled. Mikey stopped himself from scoffing. "Last time he brought me dangos! He said he knew it was my favourite! I'm happy he remembered!"

"I knew you loved dangos first...," Mikey muttered, but Sakiko didn't hear.

"He's so, so cool!" Sakiko smiled, thoughtful. "And so pretty! Oh, do you think I should make something for his birthday-"

"Who cares about his birthday!" Mikey snapped, pouting. "You always talk about him! It's getting annoying!"

Sakiko said nothing at first. She was quite surprised. Mikey had never snapped at her before. She had never annoyed him. She didn't mean it. She didn't to bother him. She just felt the most comfortable with him and felt like she could talk about everything with him. Even about her crush on Wakasa. Though maybe, she was wrong.

"I'm sorry...," Sakiko quietly said, looking down.

And it was like a slap on Mikey's face. He snapped his head at her and his heart broke seeing how downcasted she was. He didn't mean to hurt her nor to snap at her. But hearing her talking so highly of someone else irritated him so much it got the best of him. But never, never he would ever feel annoyed by her, or mad at her. It felt physically impossible.

So Mikey got down of the jingle jangle and stood before Sakiko who dared not to look at him.

"No, I'm sorry," Mikey gently said. Sakiko looked up, surprised. "I shouldn't have shouted at you,"

It was now Mikey's turn to not be able to look at her in the eyes. He was embarrassed and felt ashamed of his previous behaviour.

"It's just... you always talk about him and...," he started, unsure. "You're always so much happier when he's around and it's like you like him more than me... or that you prefer him or something...,"

Sakiko was not aware of how much she already meant for Mikey at that time. And seeing her so joyous around someone else made him fear that he would lose her. He wanted to stay the number one in her heart. And he did not want anyone to take that place.

"No one will ever beat you, Mikey-kun," Sakiko softly smiled. The boy looked at her. "You'll always be number one to me! You and I will always be together!"