025 ; Drop Outs

"well, there's still time before the finals, and it'd be a pain if things got tense. it's fine. let's do it!" hagakure shakes her body.

"what!?"

"toru-chan, you like this, huh?"

"HOPE EVERYONE ENJOYS THIS LITTLE RECREATIONAL COMPETITION!"

present mic announces.

"once that's over, we're onto the final event. between the sixteen members of the four winning teams... we'll have a formal tournament!! a series of.. one-on-one battles!!"

"a tournament, huh? so we'll be up in that ring i see on tv every year!" kirishima grins excitedly.

"was it a tournament last year too?" mina asks.

"the format's always different, but most years involve some kind of head-to-head competition"

you nod, "sounds fun"

"the matchups will be decided by drawing lots. once that's settled, we'll move on to the festivities, then the tournament itself! it's up to each of you sixteen finalists whether or not you participate in the fun. i expect some of you would rather take a breather and save your strength. now, let's start with the first place team.."

"um.. excuse me" all attention turns to ojiro as he raises his hand.

"i'd... like to drop out." he says.

you stare at him, having a pretty good idea why he wants to drop out.

"ojiro! why?!"

"this is your chance to get noticed by the pros!!"

"the cavalry battle.. i have no memories of anything that happened up until the tail end. it's probably his quirk that did it..."

you purse your lips,

he's saying that like it's a bad thing. it's called strategy..

"i know this is a great opportunity. and i know how stupid it must seem to throw it away..."

"ojiro.." you hear midoriya mutter.

ojiro clenches his fist, "but this final tournament... everyone else here made it by their own strength. yet i'm standing here , and i don't even know how or why. i just can't take it."

"you're thinking about it too hard! just show what you're made of in the tournament!!" 

"by that logic, i shouldn't really be here either"

ojiro sighs and places a hand on his forehead, "no.. i'm talking about my pride, here... i don't think it's right. and why the heck are you girls dressed like that anyways?" he mumbles the last bit.

"so manly!"

"we have a strange turn of events... what will the coordinator, midnight, decide?" present mic says.

midnight stares down at him, "how naive and green.."

she grins and cracks her whip, "i like it!!"

"ojiro has officially withdrawn!"

you look at the muzzle in your hands and place it in your pocket, you would put it back on for battle.

"replacing him will be a member of team kendo, which took fifth.."

"if it's gonna be like that... shouldn't it be them instead?" kendo speaks up.

"i mean, we were immobilized practically the whole time. but they were giving it their all to keep what they had until the very end. team tetsutetsu, i mean." she smiles at them.

"don't worry. we're not colluding or anything. this just feels right."

"y.. you guys!!!"

"so be it. tetsutetsu will bring us back up to sixteen competitors!! and here are the matchups!!"

you turn to the large projection on the screen, looking for your name.

i'm going against... kaminari. that should be pretty easy. i'll try harder for these, but i won't take first place. i'll try for second or third.

"shinso. that's gotta be..." you hear midoriya say.

you blink,

ah.. midoriya-kun is against shinso-kun. given shinso-kun's quirk, he is the most likely to win.

"now let's set aside the tournament for the time being.. and get on with the thrill-a-minute festivities!!"

you place a finger on your chin, 

hmm.. i'll probably just sleep

short- 

words; 645