III

I stood next to Korra as I looked at the Northern troops. They shouldn't be here. "Uncle, why did you bring your troops down from the north?" Korra asked.

         "Now that you've opened the Southern portal, we need to protect it from people who would do the spirits harm." Unaloq said. 

        "I can protect it." Korra said. 

         "I need you for something more important." Unaloq said.

        "Then I'll protect it." I said stepping forward.

        Unaloq sighed. "I need both of you, there is another portal in the north. Once you open it, spirits and man will be able to move freely between the north and the South in a matter of seconds." He said. 

        "But the solstice is over. How am I going to open it?" Korra asked.

         "The spiritual energy is much stronger in the north. And now that you've opened the Southern portal, your energy is stronger as well." Unaloq said. "With both portals open, our tribes will be united again. The world will be united again."

        I just watched the choas unfold, or at least the potential chaos. 

 ~*****~

        "Thank you for coming, everyone. I know these last few days have been very troubling." Tonraq said. 

        "Troubling? Troubling is when I get that itchy rash that won't go away, and Zhu Li's not around to scratch it. This is shocking." Varrick exclaimed.

        I rolled my eyes, how he's part of the tribe I will never know. "Nay, sickening! But these kale cookies? Opposite. Remind me to get the recipe later." Varrick continued. 

        "What's your point, Varrick?" I asked.

         "My point is, Unalaq's already booted our chieftains out of their palace. How long before he starts telling us what kind of cookies we can eat?" Varrick asked.

        "Probably a couple of days." Zhi Li said. 

        I sighed, this is going to get us nowhere. "Rhetorical question, Zhu Li. You gotta keep up." Varrick said. 

        "Not to mention I've got a cargo ship full of Halibut that's rotting, thanks to this harbor lockdown. Who wants to buy a ship full of stinking fish?" Varrick continued on. "Seriously, it's not rhetorical. I need to sell these fish."

        "Chief Unalaq is here to help the South. He wants to show us how to restore balance with the spirits so they'll stop attacking." Korra said. 

        "The only spirit I'm interested in restoring is our spirit of independence! Am I right, people?" Varrick said.

        I sighed as people shouted in agreement. All Varrick is doing is riling up the Southern Tribe, which is the opposite of what we need. "All Unalaq is trying to do is make our tribes unified again." I explained gently. 

        Though he is doing a terrible job. "No, he wants control of our wealth. My wealth. And I like my wealth." Varrick said. 

        "If Unalaq doesn't pull his forces out, then we have no choice but to fight for our freedom!"

         "You want to start a war?" Korra asked.

         "Are you crazy?" I asked.

        "Unalaq started this, not us. I'm sorry." Tonraq explained. 

        I sighed. "Unaloq really isn't doing what he says he is." I mumbled quietly.