Book IV Chapter I

Six months ago... 

The familiar icy white expanse did not seem to bring me comfort, only loneliness. It has been almost three years since Zaheer nearly killed Korra, and she has never recovered from it. Not that I can blame her, I haven't either. 

Korra puts up an act that she is fine and healed. It took her months to walk, but with encouragement from Katara, she did it. Korra easily beat me in a fight, and after two years, she seemed to be all there. 

I sighed as I walked away from the dock and towards Korra's home. Two years of acting as the Avatar, this was never what I was meant to do, and it was putting a definite strain on my engagement to Iroh.

There has not been any time for us to wed. We never know when we are going to be free to see each other, there is no definites in our lives. We still moments when we can find them, but both of us are tired. Since Kuvira took control, things have gotten better, but it's still not enough.

"I don't know how Korra has all of that energy to look at this positively," I said aloud.

"I have a lot of practice," a voice said behind me. 

"Korra!" I said with joy as she barreled into me with a hug. "I've missed you!"

"I've missed you as well," Korra said smiling at me, but she didn't have the sparkle in her eyes. "I was wondering when you would get in."

I smiled sheepishly, "the boat was delayed."

"I'm just glad you're here now," Korra said as she led me into the house. 

"Yue, it's good to see you," Tonraq said as I walked in.

"It's good to see you all as well," I said.

"How have things been?" Senna asked me as I took off the huge puffy coat I wore.

"Busy," I said simply. 

"How is Iroh?" Korra asked. 

"Trying to keep his grandmother from swimming all of the way from the Fire Nation to the Northen Water Tribe," I said with a laugh.

"That's right," Tonraq said. "Mari and Desna are expecting their first child."

"Desna?" Korra asked in surprise.

"I'm still not sure how that happened," I muttered.

"Desna as a father sounds scary," Korra agreed before growing quiet. 

"Everything all right, sweetie?" Senna asked her concerned. 

"There's something I need to tell you both," Korra said. "And Yue as well." 

"What is it?" I asked. 

"I want to go back to Republic City," Korra said, much to my surprise. 

"Are you sure?" Senna asked. 

"I know I'm not one hundred percent yet, but I feel like I've hit a wall. I need to be where the action is, where my friends are," Korra said with a smile. 

"I'll have the White Lotus prepare a boat and they can take you back to Republic City as soon as you're ready," Tonraq said.

"I'll go with you," I added. 

"No, I want to go alone," Korra said shaking her head. "You came her to spend time with me, but I know you have to go to the Fire Nation right after. You have too many responsibilities for me to ask you to drop everything to escort me."

"But Korra," I said gently. "You're my best friend, I don't want you to go alone."

"It'll be good for me," Korra said smiling. "And I'll have some time for me to clear my head."