VIII

~*~

Mika

"How's the evacuation coming?" Korra asked as we all gathered with President Raiko.

"Could be better," Wu said holding up a piece of paper. "At this point, we've evacuated almost eighteen families."

"Only eighteen?" Korra asked. "There are millions of people in this city!"

"I said it could be better," Wu admitted.

"We've tried," I said with a shrug. 

"The problem is it's a voluntary evacuation and there aren't many volunteers," Mako said. "They just don't feel like they're in any immediate danger."

"Guys!" Bolin said as the door swung open and in walked Bolin, Yue, Su, Zhu Li, and Lin. "Good! You're all here."

"What's with you interrupting my important meetings all the time?" President Raiko asked.

"Get over it," Yue said as they all stepped into the room.

"She's been cranky," Bolin tried to whisper. 

"Su!" Korra said as she hugged her. "What are you-you're okay! I'm so sorry about Zaofu. How did you escape?"

"Opal, Yue, Bei Fong, and I rescued everyone but we had a run in with Kuvira," Bolin said. "We saw her super spirit weapon up close. Like, really close. Way too close."

"Is she going to use it against Republic City?" Tenzin asked. 

"Yes. I found out she's going to attack in two weeks," Zhu Li said as she stepped forward.

"Oh! And Zhu Li is on our side now. Actually, she never really switched sides. And I'm just gonna let her explain the whole thing, Zhu Li?" Bolin said awkwardly. 

"I pretended to be loyal to Kuvira so I could sabotage her weapon," Zhu Li said. "It didn't work, but I did overhear her plans to attack."

"I knew she wouldn't stop at Zaofu!" President Raiko said angrily. 

"My guess is, she's coming by rail," Lin said. "It's the only way she can transport that weapon."

"Then we'll cut the rail lines," Yue said. 

"I agree. But let's get as many citizens evacuated before we do," Raiko said as he turned to Mako. "Put out the announcement. The evacuation is now mandatory."

"We're on it," Mako said. 

"Don't worry, Mr. President," Korra said. "I won't let Kuvira take our city."

~*~

"Should he be making the announcement?" I asked Lin as Mako got hooked up. 

She shrugged, "the president asked him to do it."

"We're patched in on the emergency broadcast line," the woman operating the radios said. "You're going out to every radio in the city."

"Attention citizens of Republic City, this is not a test," Mako said. "An attack on our city is imminent. President Raiko has ordered a mandatory evacuation for all citizens. Please find your evacuation handbooks and turn to sub-section one dash two six. There you will find initial instructions for your area."

"He's inducing panic," I said as Lin face-palmed. 

"For example, if you live in Northwest-Vector-One, report to your primary meeting location which would be at the Eastern entrance of the Southern Water Tribe Library," Mako continued. "There, you will choose a leader as specified in section one dash two eight."