II

"Is there a reason we are here?" I questioned Iroh quietly as we listened to Wu tell poor Mako about how his coronation would be. Poor Mika was standing next to them listening, and she was throwing us pleading glances.

"Because we're royalty?" Iroh asked. 

"And guess what pops out of 'em? Earthbender dames!" Wu said excitedly. "These gals start banging the boulders like drums and sing the song of my royal lineage. It's the most dynamite six-hour show you've ever seen in your life."

"If he calls my cousin a dame," Iroh threatened quietly. 

"Shouldn't you be getting ready to, I don't know- rule the whole nation?" Mako asked.

"Yes, isn't it challenging?" Mika asked, trying to help the poor boy. 

"Now, now, now. Don't get yourselves in a tizzy," Wu said. "I'll have ministers for all that."

"So he's a figurehead," I stated dully. 

"No sir, Mako. when we get to Ba Sing Se, it'll just be two kooky pals livin' the life!" Wu told Mako.

"Yay," Mako said sarcastically.

"About that," I said to Wu as I elbowed Iroh.

 "What?" Iroh asked and I glared at him. "Oh! Right, well, since Mako is one of our close friends, we really want him here for the wedding. We can't have it in the Earth Kingdom, for obvious reasons."

"And you are such nice royals that you want to make sure I am not delayed," Wu said.

"I don't think that's where he was going," Mako said as Mika sighed.

"I have no problem us delaying so we can attend your wedding," Wu said.

"That's not-" Iroh began nervously.

"Of course, you will need to accommodate me," Wu began. 

"What did you do?!" I demanded in a harsh whisper.

"I'm just going to go and meet up with my sister," Mika said nervously as I shot Iroh a murderous glare. "She should be coming in with Desna today." 

"We made sure to set the wedding when he wouldn't be able to come," I told Iroh quietly after Mika left, and as Wu started talking about how we would get married. 

"Getting excited for your big day?" President Raiko asked. 

"Does a platypus-bear poop in-" Wu began before shouting. "Hey! You can't put bleachers there! There won't be enough room for the dance of the badgermoles! Look, it's gonna go like this." 

"You sure that's the guy you want running the Earth Kingdom?" Mako asked, voicing my thoughts. 

"Trust me," Raiko said. "We'll be sending a delegation of experienced advisors to handle day-to-day governing."

"I mean, my grandfather had a team of advisors when he became Fire Lord," Iroh offered. 

"He has the Avatar and his uncle," I said dryly. "Not to mention Lady Emiko."

"I see the Prince is becoming accustomed to the burdens of leadership," Tenzin said in the same dry tone I had. 

"You know royals," Raiko said. "They love a ceremony."

Iroh shuddered next to me, "maybe in the Earth Kingdom. I think my grandmother just about lit someone on fire during the wedding ceremony, and she can only bend lightning."

"Have you received any word on the Avatar's location?" Raiko asked. 

"Not yet, but I have airbenders all over the World on the lookout for her," Tenzin said.