III

"It's so exciting to be on a diplomatic mission to Ba Sing Se. (turns to Tenzin) What's the Earth Queen like?" Korra asked. 

"I've never met her, but I've heard she can be quite... Demanding," Tenzin said.

"Her brat is ten times worse," I told them simply. (Korra looks concerned)

"This is it, Mako! We made it! This is where Dad grew up! Come here, look! Look!" Bolin said excitedly. 

"Okay, calm down. I'm looking," Mako said.

"I wonder where my father was from?" I questioned softly. 

"I wonder how many airbenders are down there," Korra said at the same time. Mako looked at me concerned, but I just shrugged as the ship landed in the lower ring. 

"The Lower Ring looks terrible," Korra said.

"Yeah, I can smell it from here. No wonder Dad left," Bolin said.

"I remember Lady Emiko telling me it was horrible during the war, it must have been worse then. I just can't imagine," I said as we moved on. 

"Hello, Middle Ring!" Bolin called as we floated over it. 

"Wow. Now, this is more like it," Kai said.

"I wonder where the Jasmine Dragon is," I said thoughtfully. "Hana should be here with her family taking care of it..."

"The Jasmine Dragon?" Mako questioned.

"It's a tea shop," I told him.

"That sounds nice," Jinora said.

I smiled, "it was founded by the original General Iroh, Lord Zuko's Uncle." 

"We should visit," Korra said as we landed.

"I doubt we will have time," I sighed as we landed.  

"Avatar Korra, Lady Yue, Master Tenzin, it is a pleasure to welcome you and your party to the Upper Ring of Ba Sing Se. I'm Grand Secretariat Gun." 

"Thank you," Korra said with a bow and I joined her. 

"Ahh, it's got that Upper Ring smell," Bolin said as Pabu and Naga jumped off. 

"Oh, no. The Queen hates animals. We've got to get them out of sight," Gun said. 

"Well, I can just stash Pabu in my shirt," Bolin said and then looked at Naga. "These two are gonna be a little tougher."

"Come with me, hurry. I'll take you to your quarters," Gun said. "Now, when you meet the Queen, make sure you bow low enough. That's very important. And don't look her in the eye, she can't stand that. If any food is served, don't eat before she eats. Oh, actually, I have to taste her food first, then she eats, then you can eat. Better yet, just don't eat."

I rolled my eyes as Korra gave me a look, "seems like an awful lot of rules."

"Oh, you have no idea, and I'm the one who gets in trouble when people don't follow them. So please, please, for my sake, just try not to upset Her Majesty," Gun said.

"She'll have to deal with me if she gets pissed off," I told him with a deadly smile, which only made him pale.

"Since when have you been violent?" Mako questioned.

"Since her family has been horrendous," I said simply. 

"Here we are," Gun said showing us an apartment.

"Ooh, very swanky," Bolin said. 

"Now, go in and make yourselves comfortable," Gun said before pointing at Bolin. "And keep those animals out of sight in the backyard! Avatar Korra, if you'd follow me, we don't want to keep Her Majesty waiting."