VIII

"Raava, nothing could stop this moment. Harmonic Convergence is upon us again," Vaatu said as he was in front of myself and Korra. 

"We're not going to let you fuse with Unalaq. You're going right back in that prison," Korra said. Vaatu then tried to fuse with the other waterbender, but Korra went into the Avatar state. I stood back as Korra shot Unalaq through the portal.

"Don't let Unalaq back in the Spirit World," I ordered Bolin and Mako as Korra turned to Vaatu. I watched as she fought him, me interfering would not help. This is a battle between Raava and Vaatu, there is barely any of her energy in me, it would only endanger Korra if I tried to fight. 

"I'm locking you away for another ten thousand years, Vaatu!" Korra threatened, but he broke free. I sat down and began to meditate, bringing all of the energy of being the Higosha and Second Avatar to myself, but also the energy of the moon spirit. 

"Give in. Your time is over!" Unalaq said as he trapped Korra. 

I glared at him as I entered the avatar state, "her time is not over. Not by a long shot." Water and fire swirled around me as I fought him and then Korra joined me. Together we fought, but it wasn't enough. I gasped as Unalaq and Vaatu grabbed myself and Korra. Then I felt an unbearable pain as they ripped Raava from Korra, and then from me. 

I gasped as they dropped me. Raava was in front of us, I stood up and tried to fight Unalaq as Korra tried to get to Raava, but it was no use. "You should have joined my family when you had the chance," Unalaq said as he threw me away and into Mako. 

I gasped in pain as Unalaq destroyed Korra's connection to the past lives. "No," I whispered as Korra's pain became mine as my past lives were destroyed. 

"Now, ten thousand years of darkness begins!" Unalaq said as he turned into a giant human version of Vaatu. 

"This can't be how it will end," I said as we all collapsed. 

************

"Thank goodness you're all okay," Tenzin's voice said as we all came to. 

"Did you find Jinora?" Korra asked. 

"I was able to rescue her soul, but she wasn't ready to return to her body yet," Tenzin said. "She sensed that the world was in grave danger."

"She was right," Korra said. 

"Were you able to stop Unalaq and Vaatu?" Tenzin asked. 

"No. They fused, then Vaatu ripped Raava right out of me and Yue, and then destroyed her. Vaatu won," Korra said. 

"No. I am too young to live through ten thousand years of darkness. Korra, can't you talk to one of your past lives or something?" Bolin asked. 

"When Vaatu destroyed Raava, he destroyed our connection to the past Avatars too," I explained. 

"If that's true, then-"

"The cycle is over. I'm the last Avatar. I'm so sorry, Tenzin," Korra said as she began to cry. I touched her shoulder. 

"I'm going to go help Jinora, I still have my connection with the moon spirit," I said as I vanished in a white light. I was transported to where Jinora was gathering energy, "need some help?"

"Yue?" Jinora said. I didn't say anything in response as I turned into the moon spirit and Jinora and I left the Spirit world and left to go help Korra. I floated behind Jinora as she held a ball of light. I smiled at Vaatu as Jinora blasted him with light. 

"No!" Vaatu cried. 

"Raava!" Korra and I said. Korra ran forward and punched Unalaq and Vaatu and pulled out Raava. I watched amazed as Korra purified the spirit and then he was gone. 

"Harmonic Convergence is nearly over. We must return to the Spirit World so we can fuse once again," Raava said to us. Korra held us in her arms and then we teleported back to the Spirit world. 

Korra released us and Jinora and I floated out. Korra returned to her body before joining Raava and going towards the portal, I joined them and we rejoined. Except for this time, I felt more of Raava in me than before. When we returned to the ground Mako kissed Korra and Kya gave me a tight hug.

"I don't even know what to say.," Mako said. 

"You were amazing," Tenzin said. 

"And the way you turned all gigantic like that, wow! I just wished Varrick was here to film it! It would be the greatest mover ever. After the Nuktuk chronicles of course," Bolin said. 

Korra and I walked to her cousins, "I'm sorry about your father. But he was already fused with Vaatu. I couldn't save him."

"It seems cousin Korra is under the impression we're saddened by our father's demise," Eska said. 

"But I will not miss him at all. In the end, he became a deplorable man," Desna said. 

"Agreed. But how will we explain this to mother?"

"So, I was thinking. I'm not really a fan of a long-distance relationship thing," Bolin said which was our cue to leave. 

"Now that you're bonded with Raava once again, are you also reconnected with your past lives?" Tenzin asked. 

"No. I think that link is gone, forever," Korra said looking at me. I nodded in confirmation. 

"I see. Why don't you close the portals, and we'll go home," Tenzin said. 

"Maybe I shouldn't," Korra said. 

"What do you mean?" I asked. 

"What if Unalaq was right when he said the Avatar shouldn't be a bridge between the two worlds? What if Avatar Wan made a mistake when he closed the portals? What if humans and spirits weren't meant to live apart?" Korra asked as she looked at Tenzin and me. "Well, what do you think I should do?"

"I think you should trust your instincts. There is nothing else I can teach you. You are the Avatar. Whatever your decision, I support you," Tenzin said. 

I smiled, "we both do." 

**********

"The war of the Water Tribes is over. Unalaq has been defeated, and the Northern fleet is returning home. The Water Tribes will always be allies, but the Southern Tribe is now independent,  and the Southern Council of Elders has appointed my father, Tonraq, to be your new chief!" Korra said. 

"I've realized that even though we should learn from those who came before us, we must also forge our own path. So that is why I've decided to keep the portals open. Humans can now physically enter the Spirit World, and spirits will be free to roam our world. I will no longer be the bridge. Humans and spirits must learn to live together. 

"My mission will always be to use Raava's light spirit to guide the world toward peace and balance. Harmonic Convergence has caused a shift in the planet's energy. I can feel it. Things will never be the same again. We're entering a New Age."