Book III Chapter I

I sat on the steps of the island as Korra and Asami walked up, "didn't go very well?" I asked when I saw Korra's face.

"Vines," was all she said as I followed them inside. 

"It's not a joke," Bumi said. 

"What's up with him?" Korra asked. 

"Bumi says he airbended earlier, but he can't now. Oh, and I guess he's not very good at knitting either," Bolin explained as I sat down. "I gotta say, I love being a part of this family. You got the grumpy dad, the wacky uncle, the put-upon mom, crazy kids. Well, that's just great."

"Where's Mako?" Asami asked. 

"Oh, you mean the brooding teenager? He's staying at the police station."

"Still?" I asked. 

"I told him Tenzin invited us to stay here since our apartment is a vine habitat now, but he said he had to focus on work," Bolin said. 

"Oh, did you see that? I think the napkin moved," Bumi said. 

"You blew on it," Kya said annoyed. 

"Wait! Maybe I can only do it when my life is in danger. Bolin, bend a giant boulder at me," Bumi said. 

"Yeah, I don't think that's a good idea."

"If you're going to be bending giant boulders, you can do it outside," Pema said.

"No one is bending giant boulders!" Tenzin said. 

"Look alive, Uncle Bumi!" Meelo said as he threw a plate. Bumi caught it, in a bubble of air. 

"I told you!" Bumi exclaimed as we all stared shocked, and some faces confused. 

"Unbelievable. You're actually an airbender," Tenzin said. 

"Wait 'till I tell Mom, she's gonna love this."

***********

"Do you think being in the Spirit World during Harmonic Convergence could have given him bending?" I asked Korra and Tenzin. 

"I suppose it's possible,." Tenzin said.

"Maybe Uncle Bumi is just a late bloomer," Ikki said. 

"I have been noticing a change in your aura lately," Kya said. 

"And you didn't tell me?" Bumi asked. 

"Invisible spirit monster attack?" Lin asked as she walked up with Mako. 

"Lin, you won't believe this. Bumi just started airbending," Tenzin to the surprise of Lin and Mako.

"I'm afraid he's not the only one."

"What?"

"I got a call last night. About a guy who just started airbending out of nowhere," Mako explained. 

"You mean there's another one? Where is he now?" Tenzin asked. 

"He blew a door down on me and got away. We got an all-points bulletin out on him right now," Mako said and then they went to leave. 

"Wait, we'll help you look for him. Where should we start?" Korra said. 

"Oh, well, y'know, you should leave it with the police. It's police business. Y'know. It's um official," Mako said awkwardly. Another cue to leave, I went to go speak with Lin instead of hearing their awkward conversation. 

"Lin, do you know when Iroh is getting back?" I asked. As soon as everything was done in the South Pole, I came back to Republic City to see Iroh, but he was called back to the Fire Nation by his parents.