XI

"I say we make our approach from the West, drop down from the airship on cables. Ambush these Red Lotus lowlifes before they know what hit them," Su said as we sat around a map. 

"It will never work. That Combustion Lady will pick us off one by one," Lin said. 

"You have a better idea how to save the airbenders?" Su asked. 

"Yeah," Lin said pointing at the map. "We come up from the valley, scale the side of the mountain, and take them off guard."

"That could work," Tonraq said. 

"And give them the high ground? No! If their lavabender spots us, he'll melt the mountainside and us with it," Su said. 

"Wait! I got it," Bolin said. "I'll disguise myself as a lost hiker. And once I'm in the temple, I'll distract the Red Lotus with my bird calls. Caw! Caw! Caw! Caw! That's when you all strike!"

"Bird calls? Really?" Mako asked. 

"He's so much like Sokka," Lady Emiko said dryly. 

"Well, I haven't noticed you offering any suggestions," Bolin said with a pout. 

"It doesn't matter," Korra said. "None of these ideas will work. The second Zaheer realizes we're up to something, he'll wipe out the airbenders."

"And Opal is one of those airbenders," Su said. "Believe me, I understand what's at stake."

"As so I," Emiko said. "They have three of my grandchildren." 

"Then I think you'll agree. The only plan that will work is for me to give myself up," Korra said. 

"What?" Mako asked. 

"Korra, no," Lin said. 

"We'll figure out another way," Tonraq said. 

"I talked it over with Lord Zuko, and I've given it a lot of thought. I have to do this," Korra said. 

"You can't expect us to sit by and just let Zaheer take you," Asami said. 

"He won't," I said firmly. "I'll be hiding nearby, I won't let you do this alone."

"He'll want both of you eventually," Emiko said. "You'll need a Higosha nearby."

"The World has been out of balance for far too long. It needs the Air Nation back again. I can't let Zaheer destroy it and everyone we love," Korra said. "Help me save the airbenders. Then you can can worry about saving me."

"We're with you, Korra," Tonraq said. 

"Yes, whatever you need. We're here," Su agreed. 

"I'll go radio Zaheer," Korra said walking out.

"How are we going to do this?" Lin asked.

"I'll hide in the ground until he frees the airbenders," I said. "Then I'll get her out of there."

"He won't win," Emiko said. "I haven't lived this long to see someone destroy all of Aang's work." 

"Korra," I said as she walked in, looking worried and nervous. 

"Did you speak to Zaheer?" Tonraq asked. 

"Yes. He told me to come to the top of Laghima's Peak at noon. Alone. Once he has me, he'll release the airbenders over to you at the temple," Korra said. 

"I think I figured out a way to play this so the airbenders and Korra all come out in one piece," Su said. 

"How?" Lin asked.