VIII

I sat next to Korra in a wheelchair as we ate hungrily. "Mmm. The food tastes amazing, Pema. I'm finally starting to feel like myself again." Korra said as we ate. I nodded my head in agreement, hopefully I'll be able to get out of this wheelchair soon. After Korra escaped and managed to get us back home, it took three healers to wake me up. They weren't sure why I didn't wake up immediately like Korra did, everybody thinks had had to do with what they were using to keep me asleep. Korra said that they were in essence white bands holding my body up. I don't know what they were all I knew is that they pretty much put me in a coma. I however was aware of most of what was going on. Especially in the spirit world. 

        "We're so thankful you're home safe." Pema said as she picked up the dishes to go and wash them. I would go help, but I can't walk... 

        "Let me help." Asami said standing up. 

        "Korra, I realize you've been through a lot, but I need to know everything that happened." Tenzin said. 

        "Well, first off, Tarrlok isn't who he says he is. He's Yakone's son." Korra said. 

        "It all makes sense now. That's how Tarrlok was able to bloodbend us without a full moon." I said thoughtfully. 

        "But you broke out of it." Korra said.

        They all looked at me surprised. "You did?" Mako asked. 

        I shrugged. "There's a lot I need to tell you guys, just not today." I said. 

        "But how did you escape? And where's Tarrlok? Amon captured him and took his bending." Korra said. 

        "What?" Tenzin asked.

         "Yeah. He showed up out of nowhere. He almost got me too." Korra said. 

        "This is very disturbing news. Amon is becoming emboldened. Taking out a councilman, almost capturing the Avatar and the Princess of the Water tribe I fear Amon is entering his end game." Tenzin said. 

_____________________

        I stood next to Tenzin as he spoke to Lin. "Lin, um, I-I need to ask you a favor. It would mean the world to me, but I-I know it could be a potentially awkward situation. Furthermore..." Tenzin said.

         "Spit it out already." Lin demanded.

        "Will you stay here and watch over pema and the children while I meet with the council? With everything that's happened lately, I want to be sure my family is in safe hands." Tenzin asked. "Of course Yue will be here with you..." 

        "Of course I'll help, old friend." Lin said smiling. 

        "I didn't realize you two were out here." Pema said walking out. 

        "Pema! Uh, yes, yes. Lin has agreed to help out around here and keep an eye on things while I'm away." Tenzin said quickly. 

        "Thank you. I could use the extra pair of hands." Pema said then she grabbed Meelo and handed him to Lin. "Would you mind giving him a bath? He's filthy." She told him then walked away. 

        "This is not what I signed on for." Lin said. 

        "Don't worry, I'll hep you." I told her smiling.

        "Thank you, Lin." Tenzin said.

        He got onto Oogi. "Good luck, stay safe." I told him. 

        Tenzin nodded. "Oogi, yip, yip." Tenzin said then he was gone. After that Korra and the others went to go and help the city, I stayed and gave Meelo a bath. Needless to say. I pretty much ended up water bending him and keeping him in the tub with ice. I was sitting outside with Lin when we were attacked by Amon's forces.

        "Oh, no." I said when I saw them coming. 

        "Everyone, hide inside and remain calm." Lin told everybody. 

        "Aah!" Pema screamed.

        "Pull it together, Pema. Didn't I just say, "remain calm"?" Lin said.

         "Mommy, what's wrong?" Ikki asked.

        "Pema?" I asked at the same time as Ikki.

         "The baby's coming!" Pema said. My eyes widened.

         "Oh, no." I said softly. 

        "Not now, baby!" Meelo shouted.

        I was carried inside so I could help with the birthing in case something went wrong. "The children, where are they?" Pema asked after she groaned in pain.

        I smiled reasurringly at her. "Don't worry. They're in the other room, totally safe." I said, then the birthing began. It didn't take long for the baby to be born, guess he wanted to get out quickly.

        "Pema!" I heard tenzin cry as he ran into the room. "I'm here, Pema." 

        I handed the baby back to Pema. "Your new son." I told him as I wheeled out of the room.

        I rolled out and was met by Korra. She looked at me sadly as she walked into the room. "I'm so sorry to interrupt, but More airships are coming." She said. 

        "Everything's not gonna be fine, is it, daddy?" Ikki asked.

         "What do you want to do, Tenzin?" Lin asked stepping into the doorway.

         "I need to protect my family and get them as far away from this conflict as possible. If Amon got his hands on my children I hate to even think of it." Tenzin said. 

        "If you're leaving, then I'm going with you." Lin said, Tenzin tried to argue but Lin cut him off. "No arguments. You and your family are the last airbenders. There's no way in the world I'm letting Amon take your bending away." 

        "Thank you, Lin. Korra, I want you to leave this island and hide for the time being." Tenzin ordered. 

         "I'm not giving up." She said. 

        "I'm not asking you to. I've sent word to the united forces. They will be here soon. And once my family is safe, I will return. With the reinforcements, we can turn the tide in this war." Tenzin told her. 

        "What you're saying is we need to be patient." Korra said. 

        "You're learning well. Stay safe, Korra." Tenzin said. I wheeled outside and assisted in getting supplies onto the bison. 

         "Tenzin, if we're leaving, we'd better do it now." Lin said. 

        Tenzin leaped on. "Oogi, yip, yip." He said. 

        An airship rose in front of us. "We'll hold them off." The white lotus said.  

        "Everyone, climb on." Korra said. Mako and Bolin grabbed me and put me on Naga between the two of them. "Let's go, girl." Korra said. Then we were gone as we jumped into the water, heading to safety.