Chapter 37

Unedited 11/02/2022

Christoph looked at his daughter, he was not surprised to hear her respond. She sounded just like her mother. Always trying to encourage you to do better without being too hard on you for your shortcomings.

He was sure that even now she does not hate him for his behavior. That's what makes him feel even worse about what happened. For the past two weeks, he tried to go over her explanation as to why he came home and find her in a relationship with two children.

He can't seem to remember the details. Blinded with anger, he was not paying much attention to the details of what she was saying. The more he thought about it, the more convinced he was that she had a rational explanation.

He knew his Megan would not just up and hurt him like that. He will try to get some information from Jesreen, but not tonight. Tonight was going to be about him and his daughter.

  "We do, don't we," he said picking up on the conversation they were having.
  "Why did you come all this way down here to live?" He knew it had something to do with the happy times they had down here as a family, but you wanted to be sure. He wondered if Megan took her new family to the festival while he was away.

Jesreen looked out in the front yard with a sad smile.
  "Mom bought this house two days before you came home, we were going to move in a few weeks later, but we did not get the chance to."

Christoph felt that feeling in his belly that he has been feeling for the past two weeks. The guilt, the regrets, always surface when he thinks of his action which caused Megan and her kids to be deported.

A feeling which walks hand in hand with his craving for the bottles, a craving that will not be fulfilled. He was going to channel all his energy into being the best father and grandfather.

He knew if he goes back to the bottle, he was going to lose them for good. Something he will not allow to happen.

He knew Jesreen will do anything to protect her baby. She had already uprooted her life for the betterment of her baby, and he was sure she would not hesitate to cut him out of her life for the safety of her baby. Jesreen was going to be a great mother, just like her mom.

He was not going to lose her again. He was going to have to find a way to deal with his guilt especially now that he was going to be hearing a lot about Megan. She was a very involved mother, and he knew there were very few stories she will be able to tell without her mother being a part of them.

  "The only thing I remember about down here was the fun of the festival. When she bought the house, she told me that it was a great place to live. That two of you thought it was a great place to raise a family. 

After I found out that I was pregnant, I decided that I wanted a new beginning. I could not think of a better place. At first, she wanted me to stay with you, to make sure you were okay. She finally gave me her blessing right before my birthday."

When Jesreen saw the pain in her father's eyes she decided that she would talk less about her mother whenever they were talking.

  "Does she know about the baby?"                 
  "No, I did not want to tell her over the phone. I decided I was going to drive over to tell her, but I don't think I can manage that long drive now."

  "I still wonder if I should tell her over the phone or if I should wait until after the baby's born, I drive over and surprise her.

  "You are right, that drive will be too much for you. Why don't you fly over?"
  "I have not been into an airplane since... Not after I heard that..." Jesreen stopped. Although Jesreen knew for more than a year that her father was not killed in a plane crash, she was still terrified of flying.

One of the few things Christoph remembered Megan talking about on that day was that they received information that he had died in a plane crash; That there was nobody to bury.

He couldn't imagine the pain they had been through; they did not even get a chance to say goodbye.     
  "I understand," was all he could say after seeing the pain in her eyes.

A/N.  Two in one day🎉🎉🎊🎊.

Ok, let me come clean. I published chapter 36 four days ago. Can you imagine the big surprise when I come to do chapter 37 and realize that it was not published?

So, one in one day and one backlog.

I want to shout up FkYouHackers. Thank you for your support. Go and check out his book. The Highschool Life Of An Anthromrphic.

Thank you for all the reads and votes. ❤❤❤❤