Chapter 50

Unedited 21/9/23

Kavin looks in the direction he hears the door open and sees Mr. Jackson walk in with the most distracted face he has ever seen. As if it was a well-written play, the instant Mr. Jackson walked in; the doctor came in through a different door.

Kavin got up. He did not step forward for two reasons. Technically, he was not Jesreen's family He was also afraid of what the doctor was about to say.

As Christoph opened the door to the waiting room, he saw Kavin. He was not sure what role Kavin played in getting Jesreen to the hospital, but what he knew was eternally grateful.  As he entered, a next door opened, and a doctor entered. 

     "Mr. Jackson?" The doctor asked.
     "Yes. How is she, how are they?"
     "Jesreen is still in a coma. The good news is, there is no brain swelling or brain bleeding, and her scull is okay. The baby is strong and alert. We see no reason for her to not wake up soon. Right now, our team which includes a neurologist and an OB/GYN is monitoring her closely.

Christoph asked a few more questions which the doctor readily answered.  They were then allowed to go in and see her. Not long after the Henry's came. There was not much for them to do but sit and wait. Mrs. Henry knew that Christoph wanted time alone with Jesreen so she ushered out her family. 

Passing Jesreen's car, Kavin wonders what happened.  Just as with everything else Jesreen does, she drove with care, she would not run off the road unless something was wrong. tomorrow before he goes to the hospital, he will call Mr. Raid and let him send a towed truck for her car.

After the Henrys left, Christoph stepped out only for a short time to make a call. He did not want the next time they talked for it to be bad news, but there was no way around this call.
     "Hello."
     "Hello."
She waited silently; she knew that voice. Does not matter how many years have passed, she knew she was not going to like what she was going to hear. 

     "What is wrong?" she asked when she could not take the silence anymore.
     "There was an accident."
     "NO!"
     "She is ok, she will be."
     "How bad"

     "She bangs her head on the steering, there are no other injuries. but she is in a coma."
     "No."
     "They expect her to wake up soon," he tried his best to assure her although he knew those words bring little comfort.
     "How did it happen?"

     "It was raining, and she ran off the road."
     "Go be with her, tell her that I love her."
     "I will, be strong, she is going to be ok."
     "I know. Bye."

She is going to have to trust him to take care of her baby for her. Christoph did not leave her side for the rest of the night, and neither had he for the entire morning. He reluctantly went for coffee and something to eat after a lot of pleading from Mrs. Henry. 

In the late afternoon, Kavin sat with Jesreen as he promised Christoph so he could rush home to get a quick shower. He sat, held her hand in his, and spoke with her the entire time. He told her about his classes. Pasted on the get-well wishes from the guys.

Told her the baby was strong and was doing fine, just waiting for her to wake up. He felt her fingers move in his hand when he mentioned her baby, he eventually realized that it was only wishful thinking when he felt no other movement, no matter what he told her. 

It was so hard to sit and watch her lying like that, so helpless. He remembered the first time he saw her, her full sad eyes. He remembers making a promise to himself that he was going to protect her, he felt as helpless as she looked lying there. 

     "This was not the way I had planned on spending our Saturday, but I'm telling you, I'm going to continue sitting right here, holding your hand until you decide to wake up."
Just as in a queue, Christoph walked in. Kavin got up, kissed her on her chin, and whispered something in her heart. Christoph and he just looked at each other, nodded, and he walked out.