Chapter 49

Unedited 20/9/23

He jumped out of his car, forgetting it was raining. He rushed to her car and noticed her head resting on the steering wheel. He prayed that she was taking a nap, although he knew that was not the case deep down. By now, he realized that her car was not just parked close to the rock but collided with it. 

He quickly opened the door, gently lifted her head off the wheel, and observed a little blood and a frightening-sized lump on her forehead.  Her skin was soft and warm to his touch. With a trembling hand, he checked for a pulse. Even after feeling a strong pulse, he kept praying repeatedly that she and the baby were okay. 

He gets his car closer, undo her seatbelt, gently lifts her out, and puts her in his car. He wrote the hospital's name he was taking her to and left it in the car. He did not waste time to write anything else on the paper. If her father found the empty car they would know where to check for her. 

He was not planning to stop and make any call before he reached the hospital, every minute counts. Kavin was frustrated with how slow he had to be driving. He wanted to reach the hospital in a hurry, but it would not be wise to be speeding on the wet road. It would make matters worse if he was to meet in an accident with her.

The moment he went through the hospital gate, he started to tout his horn, by the time he reached the accident and emergency, help was already there waiting. It was after he realized what little he could, and she was wheeled away he dialed her number. That was the moment he realized how much his hands were shaking.

Not long after Christoph reached home it started to rain. He wishes Jesreen was home. The harder it rained, the more concerned he got, constantly looking towards the road to see her driving up. Then came the pacing, he had not felt this restless in a long time. 

He called the school and was told she left almost an hour as class was let out early because of the rain. She should reach home a long time, no matter how slow and careful she was driving. Knowing if she had stopped at the Henry's to allow the rain to pass over, she would have called him did not stop him from calling to check. 

He could not just wait, not doing anything. Hearing she was not there, he grabbed his key, and two coats and was heading out when he heard the phone rang. He ran in to answer.
     "She is no...," When he hears Kavin's voice he starts to tell him she is not there but stops mid-word when it registers in his head that Kavin's voice is trembling.

     "I'm at Memorial."
     "I'm on my way." He hangs up the phone and heads out the door. He did not ask any questions. He did not want answers. When he reaches the hospital, he is going to sees that she only has a scrap on her hand or her forehead, he told himself. It could not be anything other than that. He did not want to think it was anything other than that. 

If it was anything other than that, he did not want to know, he had to have a clear head to drive in this weather. He knew he was lying to himself, but he kept telling himself it was nothing serious. 

Although Kavin could not put a time to how long he was sitting, he knew it was not long, even though it seemed like hours. After they wheeled away Jesreen, he called Mr., Jackson. After hearing that he was at the hospital, he hung up. He did not ask any question, maybe it was better that way than to get the full details that his daughter and grandbaby's life was in danger. 

He then called his mother; they were on their way as well. He hoped the doctor would come out soon with some good news. The baby was alive, he knew because when he picked her up to put her in his car, he felt the baby mover. He hopes the baby stays strong for its mother.