56: The Unrequited Love

"His health is deteriorating rapidly. If he doesn't start taking care of himself soon I don't think he'll make it past a year," the doctor said in a quiet voice to General Feng.

The General was deeply upset by this news. He has tried everything to make Xiao Si take care of himself but Xiao Si has refused every effort. His health has just kept on getting worse and now it seems he has only a few months left to live. His expression was anguished as he looked at the frail and pale figure lying so still on the bed.

'Why are you still holding on to them?!?’ The General thought with a mixture of anger and sadness. ‘They’re already dead and they can't come back to life!'

Dismissing the doctor, the General sat on the edge of the bed and gathered Xiao Si into his arms. His heart trembled at how frail Xiao Si’s body felt. He was so light in the General’s arms! Huan had more substance than his stubborn wife did.

"If you must hate me then hate me,” the General murmured to the unconscious man. “Don't make yourself suffer and don't make our son suffer either. Please stop doing this to yourself…"

Xiao Si had never this weak or fragile. He had been a strong she-man warrior during the war back then. Even though he was strong and capable, Xiao Si’s path was obvious as a she-man. He would marry an accomplished husband and they would rule the country together. Even though Xiao Si had never even glanced at him, the General had already fallen in love with him and never stopped hoping to win the beautiful she-man’s heart.

When Liang Huan first arrived, the General had regarded him as a harmless, weak man. He was completely fooled by Minister Liang’s deceptively genial personality until the day his true personality was revealed. Liang Huan was as cunning as a fox and a natural deceiver.

General Fang had sworn to himself to marry Xiao Si and treasure him but Xiao Si never even saw him. His beautiful, strong, she-man was indifferent to all – all except one. The one who with the strange personality, the man who had no idea of this world’s customs, the foreigner who shook up the entire country was the one who won the heart of the person General Fang loved.

Back then, he didn't know of their hidden feelings for each other. It was even because of Liang Huan that he was able to get closer to the prince.

Liang Huan had this strange notion of letting only descendent of the royal family go to war…

The idea was preposterous but Xiao Si happily agreed. On the field of battle, Xiao Si shone like a bright star and both the General and Liang Huan were by his side, protecting him from every danger.

After spending years on the battlefield together, they finally managed to win the war. All three were honored by the country. After that, Liang Huan's prestige grew exponentially as he came up with various ways to improve this country and the economy. In a small span of time, the Qing Empire flourished and became rich with resources. Then one day the Crown Prince and Liang Huan disappeared without a trace.

The two of them had eloped! The General was taken completely by surprise and was infuriated. He searched far and wide for the two until he found them living quietly in a remote village. Fueling his anger to even greater heights, the two had produced a beautiful and angelic son that could only be described as the blossom of their love. General Fang felt lesser man would have given up his pursuit of the person he loved then but he was not a lesser man. Liang Huan had tricked him and undoubtedly deceived Xiao Si. He would forgive Xiao Si for being tricked and show him who truly loved him!

General Fang knew the first step was to separate the two lovers. He convinced Xiao Si to return and explain matters to his father, the Emperor, alone first – explaining that this would protect Liang Huan and their child from the Emperor’s wrath. When Xiao Si had set off in a carriage for the capital, General Fang ordered Liang Huan to take their son and leave Qing forever.

When Liang Huan refused to leave with the child the General decided to lock them up. Liang Huan evaded capture and ran with the child but was eventually trapped at the edge of a tall cliff. At that moment, the General thought he had won. He could lock Liang Huan up and force Xiao Si to marry. To his horror, and eventual regret, Liang Huan chose to jump off the cliff with their son rather than being taken by the General’s men.

Behind him was Xiao Si, who had changed his mind about confronting his father alone. The General still could see the look of horror on Xiao Si’s perfect face…

Xiao Si was never the same after that. General Fang still had great power in the army and threatened to overthrow the Emperor if he couldn't have Xiao Si. Xiao Si agreed but only after declaring that not only would he never love General Fang but also that he would never look at him with anything but disgust and revulsion. Of course, General Fang knew that with time he would win Xiao Si’s love so he ignored that declaration.

After the marriage, Xiao Si was deeply depressed and he never stopped grieving since the incident. He would sleepwalk and even tried to kill himself a few times. In desperation, the General tried to convince Xiao Si that his husband and child hadn’t died but had returned to Liang Huan’s home.

After that, Xiao Si spent his nights gazing at the stars. He didn’t eat or sleep enough, made no effort to dress for the weather and as the days went by his health deteriorated and he became more and more frail.

Three years into their unhappy marriage the General turned to hard drink to appease his anger. Rather than soothing his anger, however, the alcohol fueled his rage. He made his way to Xiao Si’s room and demanded that Xiao Si perform his wifely duties. When Xiao Si refused yet again, General Fang forced him.

From that brutal rape by the General came Feng Huan – the child Xiao Si never wanted and couldn’t bring himself to even look at.

Edited by Relendria